How do I get my daughter to take a bottle??

I need to wean my 4 month old daughter for medical reasons but she has been very resistant to bottles. Anyone have any advice or brand of bottle that worked best for you? I greatly appreciate any help!!

phillipsmommy

Asked by phillipsmommy at 3:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my kids and one I babysat for were breast fed and the only bottle that worked for them was the Playtex Drop In System with the Natural latch nipples...brown ones, not the clear ones (No idea why the color mattered but it did). They latch on to those in very much the same way they would a breast.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Let someone ELSE do it. Seriously. YOU need to be absent at least the first few times.

And without asking you to get into things here...be certain you're being steered the right way. Know how often moms who are told they MUST wean for medical reasons really NEED to wean for those medical reasons?

About one time out of ten.That's based on a decade of working with nursing moms. Docs unfortunately rarely know what is and is not needed...and pharmacists often don't know aby better either.

If the problem is a med, please look it up here: http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

That link is the National Institutes Of Health's Lact-Med database. It's THE authority on meds and mother's milk...much more reliable than the package inserts that the drug company lawyers write.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• One more thing. If you DO need to wean...drop a feeding a week till gone to avoid engorgement. If you need to wean faster, a feeding every few days. No cold turkey unless they're going to remove your breasts...the engorgement will make you WANT to have them removed!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• a higher flow nipple?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2010