How to start a fundraiser?

Does anyone know how to go about starting a fundraiser? I want to start a fundraiser to help the local animal shelter. Alot of people are hesitant to donate money in the jars they have around town because they do euthanize (sp?), but I'd like to do a fundraiser where all of the money would go directly to blankets, food, toys, things the adoption center needs, medical supplies for the vet area. I think people might be more willing to donate if they knew it would go to things like that instead of them not being sure if it's money going to killing animals.

MommyLee08

Asked by MommyLee08 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Our animal shelter just requests those things. I know that the school and scout troops have collected those things like a bag of food, towels, paper towels, bleach..if you ask people to bring those items people will be more likely to give instead of just handing over cash.

I called to see if our scout troop could come go on a tour and in return we would have each girl bring one of the above items to donate.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• They do have signs around town saying they need blankets and food and such. But, I myself find it easier to just toss in a few dollars than to go buy the thing they are requesting, especially if it's not something i normally buy. Something like blankets that might cost a bit more than one person would like to spend (or big bags of dog food) might be easier to buy with alot of people give a little bit of money. Plus, when I see the sign, I'm like "I should buy some dog food" but usually forget the next time I'm at the store since I rarely go to the pet section which is on the whole other side of the store.

I just thought it might be more convienient for people this way.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I personally wouldn't donate to an individuals such as yourself. No offence but there are a lot scummier out there during these times.  PetCo or Petmart have pens for donations of this sort and they give to the shelters. 

Anonymous

• Good Point. If there was no proof of where the money was going, I probably wouldn't donate to someone either.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I think you would have to do it thru an organization. Put together a fund raiser for the classrooms at your childs school and the class at school that brings in the most $'s worth of stuff gets a pizza party (which could be your donation). Send home fliers and attacha value for everything_ roll of paper towles 1 pt, blanket-8 pts, dog food- 1 pt per lb..or whatever so you can figure out which class has the most points. My daughter has doen this and pesters me to just give her a few rolls of paper towels or something. Ask if the shelter can come to school and bring a few dogs and give a talk at school or something so it is a fun learning experience for the kids.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• If you are interested in starting a fundraiser I may be able to help you with that. I work for a company that does fundraising that would provide your organization with 50% of the profit. If you are interested in more information email me at true_candle_588@yahoo.com and I will be happy to help!
    CandleMommy09

Answer by CandleMommy09 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• i am with tupperware and we have done a fundraiser for an animal shelter before...email me and maybe i can help.. we did some cute stuff for it.. free gifts too and i also made packet of stuff for the shelter...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2010