Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where do you go for help when the system fails?

Quick version- My sd is being physically/emotionaly abused by bm. My dh has been in custody battle ad in contact with cps for over a yr. and half. There have been bruises, she has slept in cars, and her mother verbally bashes her. The last masters hearing cps told my dh that he was making this all up and if he didnt stop they would find a way to take away his visitation. Now my sd claims her friend was inappropraitely touching her. Which my dh did complain at one time about thier relationship and nothing was done. Her therapist believes us but says she cant take sides in custody battle. She has also made her own report with cps. So far no change. We do have a lawyer but honestly it hasnt helped us. Im unsure of where to go from here. We know its a bad situation and my dh is not asking for full custody. He wants 50/50 and mom in anger management. An advice appreciated.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • the police, fast

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • Go over the case work's head. Go to the person running that branch of Cps, that doesn't work, go to the Regional level and keep taking it higher until some one listens to you. Go to the state level if you have to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • call the police whenever abuse occurs, get it documented

    Answer by sati769leigh at 4:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • Get the school involved. Teacher have to report any abuse that they see. Make them aware of what is going on so that they can watch for it. And document everything. Write down every phone call, every bruise, every little thing that might be relevant. Have one notebook that you use just for that. Document, document, document. The more you have, the better off you will be. Get written testimonials from non family members. Get everything you can and file it all away until you can use it.

    Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • It sounds like this SD of yours is not in a safe place and she needs to be place where she is gonna be treated like a child, How old is she? You need to call your lawyer and get this child in a safe place until mom can get parenting classes and a sable roof over this child head.


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • Dad only asking for 50/50 makes it sound like he does not truly believe there is abuse, why would any parent want their child ot be left to be abused 1/2 of the time!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • My dh asked for 50/50 becase the caseworker that was on the case at first said we would have a better chance that way and eventually would end up with full.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

  • Get the school involved and anyone else . How sad, poor girl :( I hope it get's better.

    Answer by jbirchard at 8:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
child support...

Next question overall (Relationships)
need more advice.