I caught my 6 yr. old daughter kissing another girl.

I found her lying on the floor with another girl in her closet and it appeared that they were kissing. Should I be alarmed or is this natural....experimenting? It freaked me out and I'm not sure how to handle this situation.

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it is natural experimenting

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• they are 6, its just a 6 year old thing. nothing to freak about. I would maybe just gently tell her no no ya know?

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I think it's just natural kids, but if you are concerned, talk to her, don't get mad at her, don't make her feel like "I can never get caught doing that agian" or she will hide and do worse than just kiss a girl. Open up lines of communication so that later on when it comes to sex, she'll come to you BEFORE she comes to tell you she's pregnant. I don't think that you should read too much into it being another girl she was kissing. They could have just been curious what it was like to kiss a boy and figured they'd give it a go.

• Don't freak out, I think this is totally normal experimentation/curiousity. I would talk with her about appropriate behavior, etc, but don't shame her or anything like that. I think this is really typical behavior.

Answer by MaryMW at 4:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• ug, I had a similar experience, my 6 yr. old kissing her 2 yr. old sister. I had a nice long talk/lecture with my 6 yr. old and it hasn't happened since. I think it's just curiosity.

Answer by momov4kids at 4:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Don't freak out about it. But you should sit and talk to her about it. Ask her what happened and why. Talk to her about your beliefs and any morals you want to implement with her. This is a teachable moment. Use it as such.

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Normal, just go over what is acceptable behaviors. My granddaughter will be 7 in two weeks. She is already boy crazy. She and "her boyfriend" got in trouble at school for inappropriate touching. Thery got caught kissing on the playground. She is my learning curve. All of my boys still thought girls had 'cooties" until they were about 12. She is def. going to push the limits of sanity before shes grown.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• the best thing to do is tell your daughter, it's not appropriate, but also talk to them, and explain why.
    Also, monitor your child. the door to her room shouldn't be closed with someone else in her room

• at this point they are expirementing if it continues later on this is a problem. I dont think they really know the difference my four year old kisses me all the time,BUT she sees me with MEN all the time.MY family kisses in the air,also ,and light cheek got some "splainin" to do.

Answer by Caramel824 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Sometimes little girls play 'you be the boy, and I'll be the girl' and role play trying to act like grown biggee Mama...don't worry about it...I wouldn't even say anything to her about it.