Do you give your kids a snack at the grocery store before paying for it?

While grocery shooping with your kids, do you ever open a package and give them a snack from it before you buy it just to settle them down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't do it unless I have to. It bothers me when it gets to that point so I try to make sure they are fed and rested but sometimes, it just doesn't happen that way.
    Having said that, my husband works in a grocery store so I know first hand that most of the employees don't mind.
    To the moms who say that until you pay for it, it's stealing, think about this.. when you go to a sit down restaurant, you eat before paying.. you haven't bought that food, it's not yours to eat until you pay for it. Does that mean you're stealing it? According to your own theories, the answer would be yes..
    To the rest of us, the answer would be no. It means you're going into an establishment with the full intention of paying for whatever you take out. Whether it be in your hand or your stomach. It's not stealing until you walk out the door without paying!!!!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• No, we try to instill the idea that you have to buy it before you can have it. Sometimes we will give her the money to pay for little things on her own so that she really does learn that lesson.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Yes, I mean... either way I'm paying for it right? = )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I try not to. if they really are pestering me though, we stop by the bakery for the free cookies they give kids. Although, occasionally they have opened the packages themselves LOL
    Anonymous

• Now, I have to admit that when they are older I will have them pay first... but my children know you don't steal anyhow. That can be learned in many ways. = )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Never
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 4:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• There are certain things I will open for him if hes hungry. But most the time he eats before we go. He can usually wait until we get home!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I work in a grocery store and if you want to feed your child a sneak then go for it or you can come to the bake shop dept or deli and we will give you a free little sneak for the LO"s in the cart.
    Anonymous

• No
    Anonymous

• What is a sneak?
    Anonymous