At what age is it ok to leave your child home alone?

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 4:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• that depends on the law and your childs maturity
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• depends on the child.
    some are ready earlier than others.
    Anonymous

• That depends on State Law combined with child maturity. Whereas my child was capable early on..I have seen some kids I wouldn't leave alone at even 18......
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Depends for how long, I don't have kids old enough to leave home alone yet, but I might consider leaving a 12 yr. old home alone for a quick run to the store. Otherwise, I'll probably wait until 14, depending on their maturity level.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 4:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• BradenlsMySon
    LOL... I trust my 12 yr old alone... but dont know that I will when he is 18.
    Tweens seem the most responsible.... once they hit 8th grade and up Im not so sure about leaving them alone.

LMBO... seems like there is a very small window when they dont know enough to stay home and then when they know too much to stay home!!!
    Anonymous

• HAha...I agree.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I think it depends more on thier maturity level than age, really .
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I waited until mine were 12. Even then she did stuff like having boys over, and she wasn't supposed to. No problems with my son. It's a tough call because by the time they are 11-12 they don't want a babysitter. It's good if they have an after school program to go to (YMCA, Boys and Girls Club) or activities/sports. That kept mine out of trouble.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It totally depends on the child... When I was 10, my mom went back to work and left me and my siblings (ages 5, 12, and 15) home alone. But m mom made it clear to everyone that I, at age ten, was the one "in charge", even of my older brothers. They were just not responsible enough to be in charge, yet she believed I was. And she was right. When my little sister fell and broke her collarbone while we were home alone once, it was me who was able to take charge and call an ambulance, and talk to the EMT, while my older brothers just sat and cried. I was responsible enough to get myself and my little sis ready for school each morning, yet my older brothers were always late to catch their buses. Its just a matter of judging your own child.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I can leave my 12 year old home alone no problem. My 14 year old home alone, I don't worry. My 17 year old home alone I have actually considered those tiny little cameras.
    uconn

Answer by uconn at 5:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010