How do you introduce a new dinner time dish?

My guys are very picky about their food and I'm tired of cooking and eating the same old things. Once in a while I'll pull out a cookbook and try something new, sometimes it comes out well, othertimes not so much. But I have to treat dinnertime like a top secret mission in order to try something new. So how do you introduce your family to a new dish and do you keep that recipe somewhere special so you have it for next time? I have so many post it notes in my cookbooks it's hard to tell which are for untried recipes and which are for ones we like!

Mommy22boys

Asked by Mommy22boys at 4:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• For new dishes, I tell my picky little eater that she has to take at least four bites of it. I take note a mental note of what number time it is for her with that particular dish and after the third or fourth time she has to eat everything that is put on her plate. Like it or not. If you are using a notebook, you could try writing down the recipe and the date you tried it. Then just write down the date you use it and the subtle (or not so subtle) reactions to it to help you determine if it is worth it or not.

Just a thought.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• If it's a dish you didn't like, take the recipe out of the cookbook. If it's one you like, the write it up on a proper piece of paper or on the computer and print it out. Get a binder and plastic paper sleeves from walmart to save all of your typed up recipes. This will keep them safe, and also keep them dry if you spill something on the binder while cooking. I suggest a flexible binder to make it easy to put anywhere while cooking.

I agree with PhoenixFire
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I usually put 3 items on my DD's plate. If we are trying something new, I make sure the other 2 things are tried and true. If there is something familiar, she usually tries the new thing without too much trouble. good luck!
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 5:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Write in the book. I put on the page "good, ok, great, never again," and so on. I put the dish on the table and if it's not good, I write on the page, "NOT GOOD". And to my family I say..."Well they cant all be winners now can they?" LOL I have a saying that you should never appologize for anything you cook. Just make notes if it's "cookable" again.
    Good luck! :)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2010