How long is it appropriate to keep brother and sister in same room?

Just wondering because we have a 1 yr old girl and were pregnant..not quite sure what it is yet but I have a feeling it is a boy.
We would have to put the new baby in our baby girls bedroom for awhile.
So at what age does it become inappropriate for them to room together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• where i live, the age is 2 by law. my friend got in trouble for that a few years back because she had her daughter sharing a room with her nephew. the nephew was 1, her daughter was 3 1/2. also, it is illegal here to have a baby over the age of 2 sharing a room with his/her opposite sex parent.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• idk
    Anonymous

• I know in some states theres actually a law about keeping children of the different sex in the same room...do some investigating online.....
    brankohl32

Answer by brankohl32 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• til they reach puberty i guess
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• in some states there are laws. here where i live once both children have reached 6 or older they have to be in seperate sleeping spaces
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• You will know when they start fighting! lol But I would say, when one starts Junior High and they want their privacy from siblings.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Hmmm... The laws are a bit strange....
    I shared a room with my older brother until he left for college. We did just fine, my family never made a big deal about it and until today I never thought there was a problem...
    But, you probably don't want to break any laws.
    Anonymous

• I think anytime younger than puberty is fine. Some states have funky laws about it. I guess the legislators in those states are all perverts. Check your state's laws for more information.
    Anonymous

• There are NO state laws on siblings sharing rooms. I wish people would stop spreading that rumor.
    It's appropriate for however long you want them to share. They will let you know when they don't want to any more. My 8yo son and 7yo daughter share a room. Up until a few months ago my 9yo daughter was in the room, too, but she was causing issues so we moved her in with her 3yo sister. We're having another baby in July (won't know what we're having until it's born) but most likely the 9yo will move back in with her brother and sister (she will be 10 by then) and the baby will share with the youngest (who will be 4 then). That's if we don't move. If we move we'll have to see how big the rooms are there. The room the older 3 shared is huge and I could fit all 4 kids in there if I wanted.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son share a room. I'm probably moving my daughter in with her sister once she starts school though.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2010