how do you get primary kids to eat vegetables?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is the 3 bite rule, you have to take 3 bites of everything on your plate before you are excused, or you can do purees and hide them in the food, but I think that teaches them not to eat veggies even though you are giving them some. I would do both, hide it in food, like pureed cauliflower in mashed potatoes, puree carrot or squash in mac and cheese etc. They still need the whole veggies to learn the good habit of eating them on their own.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• mine loves broccoli and carrots raw with ranch - wont eat them cooked, but as long as he eats them that's not a battle Im willing to fight

he also loves V8 SPLASH juice - has no idea what he is drinking :)

good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My kids have always loved vegetables, so I have no idea what to even tell you.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 7:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Hmm. When did they stop eating them?
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Here is the picky-eater-special: I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).
    Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently.

• I just put it on their plates and they eat it. They've always like vegetables (pretty much anything). If they whine about it they have to at least try everything that's on their plate and they don't get 2nds of the stuff they like (like pasta) unless they eat everything else.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• sauces!!! kids love dipping...also, use an old happy meal container and say "look what mommy brought you" and have it filled with some carrots or other veggies...this has worked for 5 people i know
    Anonymous

• we name the veggies cool names and make it fun
    Broc= trees
    peppers(colored)= crayons
    cumbers= wheels

We also have a number of bite rule, but it is a bite for every year old.
    4= 4 bites
    7= 7 bites
    nawnie

Answer by nawnie at 9:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• mine have started liking them after being picky for a while. and now that we eat clean - they eat tons of fruits and vegetables.

I don't believe in nicknaming, or disguising them.

my girls are really into learning HOW they help your body - broccoli has more vitamin C than oranges, carotene helps with eyesight, and other little tidbits of information. they're super eager to eat it all up if it helps to keep them strong and healthy.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2010