Has anyone tried the Merena IUD?

I am thinking about getting one. But I heard that the men can feel the string during sex. Can anyone who have tried it help me in my decision to get it or not?

thetiredmom

Asked by thetiredmom at 6:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Health

• I have one I have had it about 2 months and my husband said he can feel it at first and it stings his uhhuh a little but soon gets over it ....you bleed and spot weirdly at first but I havn't had an actual period on it since so!!! great lol the decision is up to you but the worry free part about it is great good luck oh and the put in procedure I thought was going to be awful but it wasnt that bad I got worried for nothing!
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i have had mine for 18 months now. at first i wasnt sure but i have decided i like it. my husband could feel it at first but doesnt really notice it now. (it didnt hurt him) my periods are much lighter and i hardley cramp at all. i used to have terrible periods. i was really nervous about getting it but i am glad i did!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have an IUD and my SO has never felt it, I have zero problems. I love it. I have the paraguard, so no hormones:)
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have one and my husband has felt the string. Didn't hurt him, but after having it in 6 months now he no longer feels it. Over time it softens up from all the liquid down there.

The first 5 months were kind of weird with it (random spotting) but now my body is pretty use to it and I LOVE it! I don't have any hormone problems like I did with the others (I would get HORRIBLE mood swings). The dr told me that the hormones in it stay primarily in the uterus and rarely show any side effect like the other do. I'd recommend it for sure!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 11:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2010