Gall Bladder removal

I was wondering if anyone else has had their gall bladder removed. I am nursing my 6 month old and next Monday I am meeting with the surgeon to make an appt to have my gall bladder removed. A lot of places I've seen on line seem to say that for a while I'll need to be on an all liquid diet and I'm not sure how that will go w/ nursing every 2 hours. Also will I have a lot of trouble caring for my baby who weighs 17 lbs when I won't be able to lift that much. DH works f/t and we can't afford to have neither one of us working. If you could give me any info that would be great. Thanks

jombmomi

Asked by jombmomi at 6:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Health

• You shouldn't have a liquid diet or have issues lifting, it is an arthroscopic procedure which means it is done with very small incisions so you should heal quickly, and I don't think a liquid diet is a good plan considering that you will not have the gall bladder to filter bile and liquid wont protect your stomach.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I had mine out when my baby was three months and was exclusively nursing. I didn't have a pump, so I just used formula for the day of the surgery and the next day. I didn't need pain meds because I was in very little pain afterward. Make sure that you discuss it with the doctor about you breastfeeding during your consultation and right before the surgery, because chances are he won't remember when you go in for the surgery.
    I am assuming because you are having it removed that you have been having pain related to it. I felt 100times better as soon as it was removed. I had my surgery on Saturday and went back to college on Monday for classes. I walked 1/2 mile each way back and forth to class two days after the surgery. So it really isn't bad.
    Good Luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I had the liquid diet only in the hospital, and then could go on an increasingly solid diet. I stuck to a pretty bland diet that first week. Make sure you avoid any spicy, greasy, fatty foods at least for that first week.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i dont think you will need an all liquid diet, but def pump ahead of time b/c you will have to go maybe 24 hours without nursing b/c of the drugs. just try to have someone around to help you out at least the first week. the doc told me even if my ds had weighed 20 lbs i would have been ok, just try not to lift a whole lot if you can help it.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010