What are some cheap or free hobbies to have at home?

I am a new stay at home and use to always being on the go. After Christmas the hussle and bussle died down and I feel like I am becoming depressed with nothing to do during the day. I love being home but wishing I had something to do (that is free or very cheap) that would get me out of this rut. Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• can't think of anything that is free, but I really enjoy crocheting. It can be pretty cheap if you use RedHeart brand yarn from Walmart.
    Plus all the things I make with it make great gifts at Christmas, so in the long run it's at least cheap gifts :)
    Anonymous

• i make jewelry, i got a kit for my birthday and occassionally i go to hooby lobby when they have buy one get one free and get more. i plan on selling mine and i give a lot of them as gifts
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I enjoy loom knitting. You can get a set of Knifty Knitter looms at Wal-mart for less than fifteen dollars and you can also find them at Michaels and Joann Fabrics. It's very easy to learn and quite addicting!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Why don't you look at knitting? I was going to try felting because I love the felt play food but I'd rather use wool and it's harder to find and more expensive. I googled knitted play food and found some great patterns. That way you are buying yarn and fill but you are also making play food for your baby. Kids seem to love play food!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I love any kind of crafting. A lot of my supplies came free from family. Once they heard I liked something they gave me stuff they had. I crochet, try to knit, cross stitch, draw, paint, read, quilt and lots of other things.
    Once you finish a craft you just feel so great for accomplishing something, it's nice.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 12:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I took up knitting. I only do small stuff for my children or their toys. It's very relaxing and ideal when I sit and watch my latest DVD box set treat, which I later sell on again on AmazonMarketplace. That's another of my hobbies. Amazon Marketplace selling (easier and cheaper than eBay). I also started to learn a new language (French using Michel Thomas home courses), went to college one night a week to learn sign language (my children love me using it with them!); I got myself 'Fabulous Doodles' by Nellie Ryan and my own pencils and pens (it can be very therapeutic. Keep it on the kitchen worktop...); took up creative writing again (have a look at something like The Five-minute Writer by Margret Geraghty). If you think you have a book in you now is a great time to go for it. Perhaps sign up for this November with www.nanowrimo.org? And I LOVED toddler/gym/swim groups when my eldest ones were small too! Best wishes xxx
    JoojooJW

Answer by JoojooJW at 9:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2010