Easy, cheap, no mess, toddler lunches?

Yesterday in the Raman post several people said it was unhealthy. So I checked the nutrition facts and was shocked that it had 14g of fat per package!! That's my DD's lunch of choice and it's so cheap and easy that I give it to her almost every other day. It's also easy to clean her up after eating. But with that kinda fat content I cant in good conscious give it to her all the time.

So what can I make for her that is that cheap and an easy clean up? She's not picky, and she gets plenty of veggies & dairy. The only other lunches I make for her are grilled cheese or scrambled eggs and a veggie. She eats what we eat for dinner, so she does get a variety then.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• ramen isnt good. it is also high in sodium... but if she loves it, you could always just use half of the flavor packet instead of the whole thing.

other ideas for meals and side dishes:

grilled cheese
    pb & j
    morning star veggie bites
    applesauce
    steamfresh veggies
    fruit slices
    tator tots
    mashed potatoes
    chicken salad
    chicken nuggets
    yogurt
    mac & cheese
    pieces of hot dog
    sliced black olives
    chicken noodle soup
    green beans
    grilled ham & cheese
    omelet
    quesadilla
    oatmeal
    lasagna
    Anonymous

• buttered noodles, sandwiches, a variety of fruit and veggies, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese. Those are a few ideas.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• We do a huge variety here. Sandwiches, soups, leftover's from dinner that week, grilled cheese, chicken nugets, corn dogs, lots of fruit, string cheese, shrimp, tator tots, ravioli, the list goes on and on.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Make her a sandwich. Or give her some leftovers from dinner the night before.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 6:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My family's favorite lunch is ham, cheese and crackers. I cut it all into small pieces and serve with a sliced piece of fruit and a pile of raw veggies.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My daughter really likes quesadillas. I use wheat tortillas and just get it nice and crispy in a pan. Easy, cheap and pretty healthy. I usually give her a crunchy raw veggie too like red pepper strips or cucumbers. She seems to like the texture better than the cooked ones. Also little english muffin pizzas, rice with veggies mixed in, grilled cheese and turkey dogs. If all else fails I give her wheat crackers, cheese and apple slices.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 7:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i'd be more worried about the lack of nutrition in ramen than the fat content. maybe take her to the grocery store and let her pick out things? if you have a lot of free time.
    Anonymous

• Toddlers learn by making messes. Cleaning up toddler messes is a part of parenting.

Good toddler foods are avocado chunks, tofu cubes, cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• no mess and a toddler is a total oxymoron. lol

(sorry) :)

grilled cheese, eggs, homemade pancakes ( I make multigrain ones that are yummy), wraps - with peanut butter and jelly, or meat.
    sliced meat - roll it up to make funky shapes.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• finger foods - cheese cubes, grapes or fruit slices, baby carrots. Get the cheese in blocks and cut off cubes as you need it. Buy the fruit on sale and flash freeze it so you can just defrost it as you go. If she misses the noodles, make dumplings or noodles from scratch - do a bunch on the weekend and have them ready (it cooks a lot faster fresh and it doesn't have all the salt in the Ramen)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2010