Geting over something after a Death, How?

When I was 13. I found my RN mom Dead. Pa was baking bread. So ever since that bread smell reminds me of her death. DH asks me to bake bread often. I don't. Its hurtful. Though its been many years. How can I? Am I stupid and should be over it? Any tips, ideas or suggestions? Your kind favor to reply would be greatly appreciated by me. DH thinks I Should be over that by now.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 7:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• You will never get over that. I know I wouldn't if it was my mom

Answer by admckenzie at 7:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• no i smell a certain smell and i can remmeber being a little girl,that will never go away and its ok.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Smell is one of our STRONGEST, most primal associative senses. Considering the trauma, you might not ever get over it on your own.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I can understand how you feel. I can't go near the smell of Irish Spring soap or Ice Blue Aqua Velva aftershave, because it reminds me of my Dad. Dad passed away almost 5 1/2 years ago, and I don't think you ever get past this. I am so sorry for the loss of your mother,Hon. I hope one day your DH can understand why this request upsets you.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have a suggestion for you - instead of associating the aroma of baking bread with your mother's death - try thinking about it as your mother's love comforting you. Think of it as a sign that she's still with you and still in your heart.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2010