How do you get a job?

My husbands company went under in november. The GM plant closed and the DHL plant left and now we have a huge unemployment problem. I have not worked in 6 years but I have a college degree. My husband has two degrees. We both have a clean background and can pass drug tests. Between the two of us since December, we have put in 63 applications and not been hired anywhere. My husband even desperately tried McDonalds which pays less than half than what he was making before and they said they were not hiring. WHAT DO WE DO!? I mean, HOW can we get a job. We are both educated. We both have clean teeth, and are clean. We dress for interviews. I don't understand what we are doing wrong here. Are there seriously NO job openings?! Where do you turn to find a job? I have a degree in communications. His background is in law enforcement, firefighting and Emergency medical services. WE ARE DESPERATE FOR EMPLOYMENT!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry if I sounded a little ridiculous there saying we have clean teeth- but I know neat and kept appearances are vital. I'm just flustered! Our savings is almost empty and our tax return will take a while to get because we bought our first home last year.
    Anonymous

• Have you considered relocating? There may not be any jobs in your area but there are in other places.
    Anonymous

• We can't relocate. We just sunk our entire life savings into our first home early last year. With this market it would never sell.
    Anonymous

• There are tons of tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

I will be happy to critique your resumes (I do not charge CafeMoms for this).Send me a message offlist if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• honestly i mass mailed my resumes to all relevant companies in the area and got more interviews out of that than searching job openings. with all the internet crap i think they're happy to get snail mail ones.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Thanks a ton rk. I am very worried because I have been out of the job market for so many years now.
    Anonymous

• apply for jobs out of your area - if you can find a great job somewhere else you may have to move, sucks but thats the only idea I have
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• You might need to be open to a long commute, too. I feel for you. My husband has been out of work since April. Lots of interviews...in fact, he had another great one today...but no offers so far. He's got so much experience that while everyone wants to talk to him, no one wants to offer anything because they're afraid he'll walk for a better salary.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry youguys are having such bad luck but you are not alone. The unemployment rate is a deceiving 9.7% You could try relocating to a state that is better off than yours I know no one likes to move but in this economy it may be the only choice. I know someone whose dh moved out of state, rented a room with a family and the wife is staying back to sell the house. With the real estate market as it is they say that won't work for long because they can't keep up the payments on the house and his small amount of rent for long. Seems if it isn't one thing it's another. Have you signed up with a temp agency?
    Just keep putting in applications for every job you can find and start looking online for out jobs in out of town newspapers
    Good luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2010