What age do you let your little one walk up and down stairs all by themselves?

I am very afraid of letting my two year old go up and down the stairs all by himself. I let him do the walking and do not hold onto him, but I walk right behind him. I am with my friend for the week and I see her letting her 1 year old go up and dow the stairs all by himself. It is freaking me out but I am trying my best not to jump in there and look like I am being overbearing. He has not fallen, he is doing ok, it makes me wonder if maybe I am being too protective of my son. I used to do all sorts of crazy things when I was little and never thought I would be the overprotective parent, but, lo and behold I am! Am I too paranoid? Is this normal?

FairyMama888

Asked by FairyMama888 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have had an upstairs since my youngest was 1, he's followed his older brother up and down the stairs and he's a pro and he's 3 now. I think it would be safest if he was to walk up or down to do it with you until he gets the hang of it. Then I still wouldn't have him go alone on the stairs...I have baby gates at the top and bottom of my steps....of course they don't need it anymore but it was there to make sure that he didn't go alone.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It also depends on how high the stairs are and what they are made of. I live upstairs in an apartment complex and have to walk down 20 cement stairs t get to the ground. My son IS NOT allowed to walk down without holding my hand. On the other hand if it was just a few carpeted stairs inside the house I would consider it fine.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My DD is 19 months and she can go up and down alone, she does it all the time.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Dd started at a year and it took me a couple times but she got it! The only time she's fallen was when she was 9 mos and I was in another room. Dd is now 2 and still likes to hold my hand but can do it by herself.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• We've always had stairs. My son could successfully crawl up and down them at 10 months. He is 19 months now and he is starting to go up and down holding onto the wall and the hand rails.
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My daughter has been climbing the stairs since she was 10 months, but she still doesn't go down them at 19 months. She doesn't even try. We have gates, but even when the gate is open she goes to the edge and puts her arms up. She isn't ready and I'm not ready for her to go down them................it works out for both of us. I suppose it depends on your child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My son started going up and down then when he was 8 months old.... but he started walking up and down them standing up at 17 months... and as soon as he was steady I let him do it on his own. He uses the wall or rail and so far has only fallen once.
    But if we are somewhere and the stairs are unfamiliar to him (like grandma's are hard wood and steep) I don't let him climb them alone.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• my son who is 2 is allowed to go up and down by himself, i just follow closley behind, especially when he is going down, because my son trips a lot in general. Better safe than sorry
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 10:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• The stairs in my house are long, steep, narrow wooden steps. If it was just a few carpeted stairs, yeah, that would not be a problem. I get scared that I am going to fall down them sometimes if I am overtired or half awake or something.
    FairyMama888

Answer by FairyMama888 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010