Twins and associated risks?

I was curious with twins what the odds are of a healthy full-term delivery, and if it always results in a c-section?

I personally (if we get pregnant with twins via IVF this year) would like to plan on/hope for a natural labor...

(I am just considering all possibilities and what not, we see our doctor about IVF on thursday and these are issues we will have to discuss for egg transfer, and I want to make sure I am making an educated decision on risking twins. LOL.)

Are the odds still fairly good that that can happen?

what was it like for you guys who've had twins or multiples?

would a midwife be MORE likely to help you have twins naturally than a regular MD?

kajira

Asked by kajira at 7:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• My sister did IVF and got pregnant with twins. It is possible to go full term (at least 37 weeks). But I will tell you (and I am not saying this to scare you) IVF twins are at a higher risk for losing one. My sister lost one of them at 21 weeks and it kicked her into labor. They were able to the surviving baby off until 27 weeks. My surviving niece is totally fine though. She is 7 months old and healthy! So hope for a full term delivery and plan for it but also plan for complications. There are some great IVF groups on here that my sister joined and she got ALOT of helpful information and support!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• my twins were natural, i had then at 26 weeks via emergency c- section, but i have an incompetent cervix and the weight of both was too much for my body

but you can have a healthy twin pregnancy and delivery, you just need good prenatal care
    ARRI23

Answer by ARRI23 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I had twins naturally and i was able to deliver them naturally with a MD. I had to be induced at 37 weeks because of high blood pressure but I did have them vagnially. The first year of raising twins can be hard, especially if they are not on the same schedule. I had many sleepless nights.
    JessecaLynn

Answer by JessecaLynn at 9:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I carried my twins to 37 weeks. They were delivered via c-section because they were both breech. I was completely miserable most of the pregnancy, but I didn't have any complications beyond normal pregnancy stuff (extreme morning sickness). My SIL also had twins; she carried hers to 38.5 weeks and delivered them vaginally. With twins the risks for all sorts of problems are greater, but you are monitored more closely too. More than half of twins are born at 36 weeks or later. I don't know anything about midwives. A lot of doctors will allow you to attempt a vaginal delivery with twins if they are positioned right and you don't have other complications, but they usually require you to deliver in the OR just in case, and some also require you to get an epidural to move things along more quickly in case of an emergency. If you are fairly tall your body may accommodate a twin pregnancy better than if you are shorter. GL!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I don't have personal experience with carrying twins, but I know that my co-worker was able to deliver her twins vaginally. Of course she was stationed on an army base in Germany at the time (about 7 years ago) and her boys were born in a German hospital, so they may do things differently over there than they do in the U.S. or Canada. One of the boys was breech, but the doctor was able to deliver the first one, then reach up inside & turn the second one so he came out head first as well. Apparently the process was excruciatingly painful though, even though she had an epidural. (Sorry, not trying to freak you out - just letting you know that it can be done.)
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I conceived my twins naturally, but I can tell you that you can have a natural, as in drug-free, vaginal birth in many hospitals, but you have to deliver in the OR. Most hospitals also require that you have an IV put in prior to going into the delivery room for quick access to a vein if you need an emergency C-Section.

I had my twins vaginally, but with an epidural (that quit working 2 1/2 hours shy of delivery). I was able to labor in the tub before the epidural was administered.

Most doctors will attempt a vaginal delivery with twins as long as they are healthy and both head down.

To be perfectly honest, the hardest part about having twins was not the delivery or the difficult pregnancy, it was 2 years of sleep deprivation. Having two infants is a 24 hour a day job, and if you are planning the IVF, I would also factor in the cost of a nanny for AT LEAST 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for the first 6 months.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 8:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• my twins were born c section,,, delivered at 36 weeks and 4 days. i had a c section because baby b was bigger and transverse.  if she was smaller and transverse then we would have done natural.

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 12:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2010