Ash Wednesday and a Job interview

Well unemployment has been fun but on Ash Wednesday I have a job interview. Looking forward to it, but I plan on going to Mass before the interview and of course we will get the ashes.

I am interviewing in a Catholic establishment so I will be OK but my mind began to think. I go to Mass first with an interview 2nd would a person keep the ashes or would it be best to wash one's forehead before he interview?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 7:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally, I would keep the ashes. Since your interview will be with a Catholic establishment, I don't see how anyone would be offended. I keep the ashes on my forehead when I go to work, and if someone asks, I tell them that I attended Ash Wednesday Mass. Good luck with the interview!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• You aren't supposed to wash them off intentionally.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Rap myself on the head for not reading more thoroughly! So I deleted my prior answer. Since it IS a Catholic establishment...your choice. Me? I *would* but that's ME....I'd never been told you're not supposed to wash them off.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Just hypothetical, if it was not a Catholic school? You know sometimes the brain starts to run away and I started thinking what to do. Personally, I think I would reschedule the interview if it was me.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 8:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Personally, I wouldn't wash them off. I wouldn't make a big deal of it either way, and if they ask about it, you simply say "It's Ash Wed and my church marks us with ashes on this day. So, when you say the job has flexible hours, what hours are you anticipating? - Or, So, what sort of advancement opportunities are available with this job?

Basically, something that explains your ashes in a very matter of fact way, and then goes immediately back (in a nice way) to the job being discussed.

Because honestly, I wouldn't want to wash it off to go to the interview, because to me, that's like saying "well, you died for my sins, but I'm ashamed to let people know it". (NOT saying that's what YOU'RE saying, just how I would feel doing it.) Plus, in this day and age, most employers aren't going to ask / refuse to hire you b/c of it, because of discrimination suits.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• For me it's pride against humility. Ask yourself why you would keep them on. We always wash them off. To most it looks like you're saying " look at me I'm good Catholic I went to Mass today." We've always looked at it as a private devotion not public. Going back to when Christ said When you are in mourning don't cover yourself with ashes wailing and moaning on the on street. Wash your face. I can't remember the rest at this time.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• oldermom makes a good point, too. I wouldn't want to wear the ashes on my forehead as a bragging, look at me thing, either. I think it's going to really depend on what your reasons are for wanting to wash them off or leave them on. If it's a look at me thing, then don't wear them. If it's a simple, I'm not ashamed of my faith so I'm not washing them off, then leave them. If you want to wash them off because you don't want people to think it's "see how great I am" sort of thing, then wash them off. If it's a shame thing, or you're afraid that it could affect getting a job (which goes back to hiding Christ thing), then I wouldn't.

It all boils down to the reason for whatever you choose to do, and only you and God are going to know the reason in your heart.
    Either way though, I trust you'll make the right choice :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2010