Why would a dog need a vegeterian/vegan diet?

Im a vegeterian, and I own an 8 mo young puppy. I see the vegie and vegan dog food diet and I'm wondering why.

Do some dogs need that type of diet, or is this just preference by owners?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 7:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Pets

• it's for the owners benifit. Some feel BC they are vegan thier kids and animals should be too. Which I find sad should that be a personal choice?
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I don't think it's good for a dog to be on a veg diet... Meat should be the main ingredient in their diet, not fillers, grains etc.. If you fill your dog with a variety of foods you're going to have a dog with an upset tummy....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• unless a veterinarian has told you otherwise, I wouldn't put dogs on a vegan diet...much like humans they need certain things in their diet that if not eaten can cause severe deficiencies.....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• It is not a good idea. They are ANIMALS and NEED to eat ANIMAL food. I am one who would own a zoo if I could - but depriving them of their proper diet is meerly their owners wanting this. If they want their dog to be vegetarian or vegan, then they don't need to have a pet.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:39 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• dogs need meat to u build muscle thats why some dogs eat an all meat diet.. my pitbulls dog food is 89% meat and even has to go in the freezer...real meat.. but if they eat regular dog food like purinna dog chow..within 2 days they will look like we havent fed them in years...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• a very few select dogs have allergies to certin meats but not very many.. so no I wouldn't put them on the diet unless vet says to
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• It's owner preference. I personally wouldn't feed my dog vegetarian, even though I myself am a vegetarian.
    But when it comes to your children that is an entirely different story. ;-)
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 9:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I had a dog that had allergies and he was put on a sweet potato salmon diet to control them. A dog however is a carnivore but nature. So they on the whole do best on higher meat diet.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2010