Bought the potty chair... now what? :)!

My daughter is 21 months old, very perceptive, very bright. She speaks at a normal rate (a little ahead) for her age. She can say pee pee and poo poo. She tells me when she has pooped (by pulling at her diaper, and scrunching her nose. I then say "did you go poopy?" and she shakes her head yes). I know some people these days wait til their kids are "ready" or give them signs that they are ready. What are these signs? I am thinking this is crazy. Training is training. I was going to wait until her second birthday. What do you guys think? Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated :)!

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 8:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think she is ready. I started my kid off when he was like 20 months. In the morning we get up and he will sit on his toilet and pee. During the day I let my kid run around diaperless in the house so he will learn. I only had a couple of incidents with him peeing on the floor. When we are out in the store or over at someones house he tells me that he has to go. The whole diaperless thing worked for me.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My LO pulls on her diaper when she has to go pee, and she doesn't usually make it through the mad dash to the potty. She will sit on it afterwards any way. I make her sit on the potty several times during the day. We are successful about once every 3-4 days, but it is progress. Just set her on the potty after she goes or if she gives other signs that she has to go just follow her cues. I wish you luck and patience because you will need it all.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• my son just turned 2 in jan and i started having him sit on the potty when he was 18 month nothing ever happened until right before xmas. Now he will run to the bathroom and say GO GO! you are not crazy and if you Both are ready for this journey i say go for it. just an FYI i didnt use pullups i still take an extra pair of undies and pants with me if he has an accident i want him to feel it and tell me that he needs to go. Although he does wonderful in town ( i take a potty chair with me in the car and put a diaper in it to soak everything up and he can go right there so we dont have to find a public restroom and with 2 kids that is not a fun experience!
    littlemiss19

Answer by littlemiss19 at 2:37 AM on Feb. 9, 2010