Hypoglycemia

I was diagnosed with this a month ago...anyone else have this?

mikko2285

Asked by mikko2285 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Health

• Yep, I've had it since I was a little kid. Just make sure that you eat many small meals throughout the day. If you start to feel shakey then you need to go somewhere and sit down and eat something because after getting shakey comes the passing out if you don't get food fast enough. Also be careful to get out of bed or get up from sitting down for a long time slowly because your sugar might have dropped and you didn't know it and you could pass out or have a short little blackout. Its really not all that bad. Usually a quick banana will fix you right up. :)
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 8:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• On and off most of my life. Read up on low GI (glycemic index) foods. Eating the right foods can make you feel good.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have it too, runs in my family. Be careful about taking a hot bath-eat something first, and take a sweet drink in with you. Nothing more fun than getting out of the tub and having to hit the floor because your sugar dropped. Keep some snacks in your purse and car.
    purpleswiper253

Answer by purpleswiper253 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• The way to manage this problem is eating small meals/snacks that consist of a carb AND protein together that have a low glycemic index.  Which means its better to stay away from white flour foods.  Always carry a rapid (quick) acting carb with you at all times especially when driving and exercising.  Hope this helps.

nurselaw

Answer by nurselaw at 11:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• hypoglycemia affects everyone differently. Stay away from simple carbs. Eat more protein and complex carbs which take longer to digest. You should follow a diabetic diet to even out your blood sugar. It can turn to diabetes. Always carry food or even sugar packets.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 9, 2010