Teething, Diarrhea and Daycare....

Okay, so I am pretty sure my baby is teething. He has the symptoms. Cranky, red cheeks, chewing on everything, drooling like crazy, and diarrhea. Daycare has a no diarrhea policy. He has had it for 3 days now. (they were closed on Friday)(MIL has baby sat 2 work days in a row now.) In my opinion he is fine. Happy most of the time, wants to play. I guess I am asking for suggestions. I really don't want to ask MIL to watch him again but don't see I have any choice.

Jessycwr

Asked by Jessycwr at 8:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess it depends on how bad his diarrhea is?? I don't think that babies that are teething will have prolonged diarrhea because of it...does he have a fever? I know that babies poo can get runny when they are drooling/swallowing all the drool but if it's watery it may be something else...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Day cares have a no diarrhea rule for a number of reasons....one being of course, it's a lot more work for them to have to change those messy diapers constantly, and make sure a baby isn't sitting in a dirty diaper. Two, diarrhea can be contagious, and can be very dangerous for babies and small children. They can become dehydrated easily, so they obviously don't want to take a chance that a baby with diarrhea has something contagious.

I'd say that you probably don't have a choice. Also, if the diarrhea lasts very long I would call your pediatrician, it could be something besides teething, and should be checked out.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• He has not had a fever at all. Also, where he goes they change him every hour regardless if he needs it or not.
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 9:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• The diaherra should only last a couple days...atleast thats how it was for my son. If you want, you can chance it and take him in to daycare if he hasn't had a diaherra that morning and go from there unless they have a 24 or 48 hr policy.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2010