why does my 4.5 year old refuse to eat?

I know he's hungry. He even says he's hungry.sometimes i fix food he doesn't care for and I get it that he wouldn't want to eat then. But, he doesn't eat when he likes the food either!

4starsmom

Asked by 4starsmom at 8:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• usually kids will kinda lead us if we let them and they go through phases where they dont want to eat as much. however sometimes its something more like swollen tonsils and adanoids or something. I would have a Dr check him out and give you the all clear and then just keep offering him meals. kids wont starve themselves
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Ditto with sati but I would like to add he may he going through a power struggle with you right now and really the only thing he can control is what he eats.. If all is well, just offer but don't beg him to eat..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'd also consider teeth/mouth issues (e.g., cavities, bitten tongue, cold sore etc.).

momsc

Answer by momsc at 9:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• typical power struggle. (as long as there is no medical reason) Ignore it and don't push the issue and he will eat when he is ready. Been there. done that with my son. Every so often he tries to see if he can 'win' the food battle still. he is five and a half.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• How long has he been doing this? Could there be a medical reason why he's not wanting to eat even though he is hungry? Comming down with something?
    Anonymous