Water, ice, being hydrated

Is it possible to be over hydrated?
I have to confess that I have an addiction, which is chewing ice, and I am probably slowly ruining my teeth, I just love to chew it!!!
I also noticed that I gained weight (friggin fantastic!!!)
Someone told me that I am drinking too much water (in the form of ice and with it).
I thought I should be losing instead of gaining since I moved to an apartment in the attic, where I walk up steep stairs and walk the dog between 4 to 6 times a day.
I go to the bathroom a lot too, of course.
So, is it possible to drink too much water and retain it?
I thought you could never drink enough water, that's what all diets recommend.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 8:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Well, I do know that the COLDER the water the better for weight loss. B/c your body has to keep trying to regulate your body temperature down to normal. so it uses more energy.

Ingesting more water than you need can increase your total blood volume. And since your blood volume exists within a closed system - your blood circulatory system - needlessly increasing your blood volume on a regular basis puts unnecessary burden on your heart and blood vessels.

Your kidneys must work overtime to filter excess water out of your blood circulatory system.If you force large amounts of water into your system over a short period of time, your kidneys will struggle to eliminate enough water from your system to keep the overall amount at a safe level.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• So yes, you can drink too much water...but it should make you gain weight...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• yep. overhydration feels a lot like DEhydration.

I was overhydrated on a summer fundraising walk - headaches, cramps - it was horrible. I let things get regulated and felt much better.

I don't think it would make you gain weight though.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Thank you so much.
    I am going to actually pay attention to how many glasses I drink/chew a day.
    It all makes sense what you Ladies are saying.
    My health issues may cause thirst too, I have a beginning phase of diabetes and my blood test shows slight anemia, I feel thirsty all the time.
    Well, I will of course ask my doctor about all those things, my appointment is coming soon and first I need to do the glucose tolerance test again.
    Thank you again, very much.
    Bea
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 10:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• chewing ice can be a sign of low iron..so the anemia! if you drink too much water in a short time period, you can die. Hitler actually did a study on this. i think you are supposed to drink 1/2 of your body weight in oz of water per day. a bit more if working out, and a bit more if drinking caffinated beverages. so 120 lbs, should drink 60 oz of water just about 8 glasses, or 4 1/2 L bottles. be sure to eat food at regular intervals for you diabetes, every 3 hours i think. be sure to eat lots of dark leafy green veggies. also, cutting back on processed food is a very good idea as well
    good health to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Great advice, thank you so much!!!!!!! I am truly grateful for the information, you Guys.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 2:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I'm just to weigh on with a ditto on what she said!! And def talk to your doc- thirst that can't be quenched is almost always diabetes like you mentioned (how it presented in my dad). Eat whole carbs, less sugar, more protein, healthy fats balance your omegas (3,6,9) and fiber!! (brown rice and beans are a great thing to keep made in frig- can warm them up and eat them in various guises and the base of said meal is healthy!!) And avoid diet/fake sugars- they trick your body and do more damage.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Yes, I love foods with as much fiber as possible, although you cannot over do it either. I eat a lot of Fiber One, if I have 1 cup of it it covers the daily need for fiber right off the bat.
    I have gone through a lot and right now I have more time for myself and think more clearly. Therefore I am starting to plan better what to eat.
    I am going back to Spark People, but I need to adjust their menus, reduce the amount of carbs and increase amount of proteins, even eat something as simple as a hard boiled egg with 12 grain bread, my favorite, I ate a cup of blueberries and a cup of 1% cottage cheese for breakfast today. I have steaks and need to think how to make one so I can enjoy it. Also had 1 banana for snack.
    Ok, I can go on and on, if you have more thoughts or comments please post, I am curious how other women do all this dieting stuff.
    Thank you so much,
    Bea
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 2:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2010