Should we force our 18 year old Bipolar daughter to go on vacation with the fam?

Our 18 year old daughter, whom is bi-polar, does not want to go on vacation with her dad, 14 year old sister and myself (mom). I can't decide if I should force her to go or not. If she goes with us she will probably make the rest of us miserable. If she doesn't go with us I will worry about her staying home alone. She tends to be forgetful and I worry about her forgetting to (or not wanting to) take her daily medication. I also worry about her cooking something on our stove and forgetting about it.

Should we make her go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would see about her staying with someone else or a friend. if she's 18 then it may not be long before she could live on her own anyway.
    I would not force her to go on the vacation. it will ruin it for everyone- what's the point in that?
    challenges or not, she's not a child.
    my mother not accepting those sorts of things are why I now live almost 2000 miles away- your choice.
    Anonymous

• Only if you want to be miserable the whole time.
    Anonymous

• you cant make her go. not unless you want pure misery. she is 18 years old. cut her some slack. see how she does
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Could she stay at a good friends house for the vacay, or maybe a family member. 1) so someone can keep an eye on her 2) so she has some company. If she hasn't given you any cause in the past to worry, I'd let her stay home alone or have her invite a trusted friend.
    I think forcing her to go with you is would just be very stressful for the rest of the family if she doesn't want to go.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Is there someone that could come stay with her - a responsible friend? Or a friend she could stay with? I wouldn't force her to go with you when you know that both you and she will be absolutely miserable.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2010