If I have upset tummy, will my baby? EBF

I don't know if I ate something bad or what, but my stomach is upset... Will that make my 5 mo olds tummy hurt too? May be a dumb question but I don't know!

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it really depends...

if it's caused by a virus, he may get it.
    if it's just something you ate, most likely not
    Anonymous

• i agree
    Anonymous

• My doc told me that gastrointestinal issues (tummy, diarrhea, etc) are not contagious and baby will be safe. hope you feel better!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• thanks! bbleehhh :(
    cpuckett27

Answer by cpuckett27 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Ditto the first response, but its probably not a virus. Also, if its caused by something you ate, he may get it, but to a lesser degree. Most likely, he will be fine, even if he does get it. Hope you feel better!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• No, you cannot pass your upset tummy onto your baby. Similarly, foods that make mom gassy do not make baby gassy, this is a myth.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I've gotten two stomach bugs since having my daughter. Once when she was 2 weeks old and the other when she was about 4.5 months old. I breastfed through it, although sometimes I had to hand her to my husband during a feeding to rush to the bathroom, but she never got sick.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• One other thing, since you are breastfeeding, the big issue is keeping you from getting dehydrated. If you can't keep anything down I suggest calling your doctor and telling them what's going on so they can call you in a prescription. Or you can try Dramamine. When I was sick when she was 4.5 months old it was Christmas day and we were in another state visiting my dad. My stepmom called her doctor and that's what he said that I could take while breastfeeding. It did seem to help.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2010