I'm a horrible mother

I set my 6 month old son on the couch while I went to the table to get my phone. As I turned around he sat forward and fell off onto the hardwood floor. He seems to be okay and I called his doctor and she just said to watch him. He does have a little red mark on the side of his forehead though. I feel so bad. I can't believe I was dumb enough to leave him sitting there like that. :( He cried really hard. I can't believe this happened.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yes, baby falling off the couch.... I swear that's happened to just about every mother out there!!! The only thing I've found to help is hold them close and just sit for a few mins! I can't tell you how many times my dd fell off the couch but the first was horrible! As your son grows he will get so many more bumps and bruises though.... But showing how much you care makes you the best mother in the world!!! He'll be ok mom! :)
    Anonymous

• Calm down sweetie, it happens. I'm sure you are a wonderful mother.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• you are NOT a bad mother, these things happen all the time. dont sweat it. i dropped my 14yo when she was a baby and she' s fine. dont sweat it.
    Anonymous

• aww honey we all make mistakes as parents. you know to never ever do that again. put a blanket down on the floor and if you have to set him down, put him there. I put bumper pillows up too cause at 6 months my son was a bit in motion eh?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• oh honey! you are not a horrible mother for this! it was an accident! I don't know a single child who has not fallen off of the couch or chair or something!!!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry this happened to you. I am SO afraid of this happening to me too!! Just take a deep breath and keep a close eye on your baby. I'm sure he's fine but you'll want to be sure. I'm sure you learned something from this so think of it that way...don't beat yourself up, it happens to a lot of moms! you are not alone.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i agree he should be fine..the only thing i know is after it happens and hes tired and wants a nap call the doc and tell them..( head trama ) BUT..kids are really hard headed. and i wouldnt worry to much just give him hugs and kisses...even the best mamas make mistakes so dont worry mama..just chalk it up to now u know.xo
    Anonymous

• He'll be fine. It happens to all of us at one time or another.
    Anonymous

• he prolly cried hard cuz the fall scared him. thats all. just love him and he will be happy
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Well I think you will punish yourself enough for this one... Just know this, by the time your LO is 2 he will have lots more bumps and bruises that won't be anything you did or didn't do...
    Do keep an eye on him for a while and even during the night off an on when he's sleeping. If he doesn't act like he normally does and you're worried, call his Dr in the morning and have him looked at. Don't feel bad Momma, I'm sure you're not the only one!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2010