Why do I feel sad when I look at pictures of my daughter when she was a little baby??

I literally get depressed, and I want to cry. I want to cherish those memories forever and ever, and yet she seems to be growing up so fast. She is 19 months old, and doesn't have time to sit and cuddle with mommy much-she's always on the go. She's attempting to put on her own clothes, and is learning new skills every day. Soon she'll graduate from high school and leave me.

Is it normal to feel this way? I hear so many moms say how they can't wait for their kids to grow up and move out of the house, but I want my daughter to stay with me forever!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh, don't even tell me this. My son is 4 1/2 months and I ALREADY know I'm going to feel like this. While I'm excited for him to grow up, the other night I almost cried thinking of how one day I know I'll miss him as a baby. I try to cherish each and every second with him, and to make memories that will last forever. It's hard to believe he won't always be a baby. :*( My husband says if I miss it that much, we'll just have to have another baby, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I felt that way too at her 1st birthday. But look at the bright side. Every year is something new and something new you two can celebrate together. When she does grow up you two can shop and hang out too. :) 18 years is a long time. Just take it day by day.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• OP HERE:

Now I understand why my mom was so sad and depressed when I moved away to go to college. My little sister told me she cried for DAYS. Every time I came home to visit, she was so happy, but the day that I had to leave, she would get sad again. So much so that she made me take the bed linens with me, so she wouldn't get depressed remembering me while she did the laundry!!! My poor, poor mom! :-(
    Anonymous

• aww....it is hard. but you will make it. i cry about everything since i have had my daughter she is 19 mos. as well.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Oh I know how u feel my first daughter and she moving to fast. She is 10 months and I remember when she started holding her own bottle ,starting crawling,and talking (well her baby talk). It makes u want cry soon she will be going to school..
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 9:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I know I know! I can relate! I have a 22mos old, 5 and 6 yr old. I can't believe how fast time flies and I love watching them grow and the things we can do now but I also miss the baby days. We are so busy now so I miss the days where it was so much more relaxed when my first two were so tiny! We are done so soon my baby will be 2! sniff sniff
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i cried @ my babies 1st birthday... but like someone else said new years mean new experiences. i try to recognize everything special. it makes it easier.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 10:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• She's your baby and she's growing up. It's soo natural. One day you're swaddling them and the next day you're chasing them through the house. Then another day passes and it's their very first day of school. Then they're off to college. Getting married. I mean, it goes by too fast. It amazes me everyday that my little boy is one already. That my daughter will be one in October. I just can't wrap my head around it. I think that in a few years he'll be going to kindergarten. While I'm excited for that day, I just can't believe that they grow up. It just isn't right. Haha
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2010