Am I too affectionate with my son?

I am from a family that seems quite distant. The main mood we have is angry or depresssed. I am trying to teach my son to help others, not be so mad. He is not old enough to say sorry, so we taught him to kiss and hug whenever he hurts someone or their feelings. We are often tickling him and giving him hugs and kisses. I would rather him hug and kiss than to hit others. He isn't around other children his age because based on our random schedules, he is pretty much around just family. When he sees a child around his age, he tends to tackle them to hug or kiss them. So, I was just wondering, are we too affectionate? My boyfriend thinks we are, but i'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no I think its cute
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• keep loving on him and read up on Dr.Sears. Sounds like u r doing great!
    Anonymous

• i dont know how i would react if another boy hugged and kissed on any of my children.
    Anonymous

• ugh - please stay away from the quack dr. sears!!!!!

that aside no I think you are doing great
    Anonymous

• no, but it's important to make sure he gets to be around kids of the same age. He'll learn from them that not everyone has to be affectionate all the time, but when it's appropriate, like when saying sorry or to say hello or goodbye.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• no way..I don't believe you can be over affectionate with your kids.. your son is still young I think its ok .. once he is in school teachers will want him & all the kids to keep their hands to their selves, even hugging..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I don't agree in teaching him to kiss a child instead of teaching them to say "I'm sorry". He may not be old enough to say the actual words, but it's important to teach him the concept. What you teach him now is what he will carry throughout his life. That is why it's important to teach him now what you want him to know later. Doing one thing now and then changing it later is riduclous. You'll confuse the hell out of a child when you do that. You need to teach them the concept of sorry and encourage them to say it, even if they can't. If you want him to apologize for something then you tell him to apologize. You want him to kiss kids in kindergarten when he accidentially knocks into them? In school when he accidentially interrupts them? That's not going to go over too well. Teach him now what you want to know then.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I think you should be affectionate to your kids. However, I agree wholehearted with JazzlikeMraz. You should teach him the appropriate place (like home with mom and dad or another relative that doesn't mind being hug) to be affectionate. Trust me there is a lot of people that have phobias just if you touch their hands much less giving them a hug or a kiss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Is that even possible? We are incredibly affectionate with our daughter. As she gets older, she won't feel comfortable kissing strangers. She will understand that the kissing and hugging is reserved for loved ones. Love on your baby all day..........it is a real confidence booster.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:42 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My son & I are still affectionate...he hugs me & kisses me. He's nearly 16. He's always been affectionate with family members. He didnt grow up to go just kiss random folks though lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2010