How do I get my daughter to sleep in her crib?

Maybe I'm a little too early for this, but I'm going to ask anyway. My daughter is a week old and doesn't like sleeping in her crib. If I put her in the crib while she's asleep, she wakes up almost immediately. She doesn't cry or anything. Right now, she's in there making baby noises. She sleeps best either being held or in her boppy or bouncy seat; things that make her feel like she's being held. Last night I put her boppy in her crib, and she slept fine like that until DH started missing her and held her half the night. I'm just wondering if I'm going to have problems further on getting her to sleep in her crib. Oh and she doesn't like being swaddled. She breaks out of it, but I do have a Miracle Blanket on order, which worked wonders for our son who hated swaddling. Is she too young to even mess with trying to get her to sleep in her crib? Should I just let DH hold her at night or use her boppy for now?

Journey311

Asked by Journey311 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• And for the record, I'm not trying to get her to sleep through the night. I know that's impossible. I just want to establish a routine of her sleeping in her crib. Our son went right to his crib with no problems (for the most part), and I have no interest in co-sleeping for the long-term.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• omg i have that same problem with my 2 week old im sorry i dont have the answer for u
    shebetabe

Answer by shebetabe at 10:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• well we have 2 girls and our oldest had acid reflux so she slept sitting up in a swing for months!!! now with our second i tried the bassinet and she wouldn't sleep a wink but when i put her in her crib she had wiggle room and was fine. I dont think its much of a problem to let he do her noises in her crib. They do like to hear themselves:) ! So I guess as long as she is fed, changed, happy, and all let her make sounds and get use to the scenery. She will get use to it. And in our case with our older DD she did get put to sleep being held a lot due to acid reflux and in our case it was hard to get her away from it later to sleep in her own bed. Same goes for our 2 nieces that was rocked all night( was a pain to get them to sleep on their own). So ur the mommy and its ur call. in my opinion I would let her just enjoy it and see if she falls asleep.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 10:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• A crib is big and vast and not secure when you are that small.  Its a survival mechanism to wake when that happens.    We do a sidecar crib arrangement. http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/faqtipsandphotos.htm

I don't use basijetts but a sleep nest might help you.  also be sure she is in deep sleep if you put her down.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• try puttiing her in the crib (once all her needs are met) at night when shes sleepy , but tried.. see if that helps.. she very little so this may take awhile.. I personnally say shes way too young to CIO I refuse to use that method on infants.. I remember not getting any rest when mine were little.. they grow up so fast..this phase will pass.
    Pillows & toys are unsafe in a baby's crib just so you know. ;)
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• well for the first few months usually they do just want to be held while they sleep after a month or so start putting her in her crib while shes sleeping it shouldnt take to long for her to get use to it at that point my son wouldnt sleep alone for a month or so and after that we put him on his belly and he slept just find in his crib and now he's 4 months sleeps in his crib and through the night :)
    Anonymous

• My DD slept in her bouncy seat in the crib until she was 3 months old because of gas issues. I thought we were going to have to let her sleep in it until her butt touched the ground, but one night she fell asleep during floor time. I put her in her crib on her back and every since she hasn't needed the bouncy seat. I guess some babies are just like that.
    mandajan

Answer by mandajan at 7:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2010