Why do we use cribs instead of..

pack & plays? It seems to me like a pack & play would be safer, and could be used for a longer period of time. There are no bars for the child to fall through, and they can't climb over the guard and fall out. I took a course in SIDS, and pack and plays are considered just as safe as a crib, yet much much cheaper. Anyone else only use a pack and play?

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To each their own, but to me a crib is a piece of furniture like a bed. It's like the difference between a bed (mattress, box spring, frame, etc) and a byo bed (the inflatable ones that fold out with legs) or a sofa bed. Yeah they get the job done, but it doesn't have the same sense of permanence. But that's just me.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Children can get hurt in pack and plays just like they can get hurt in cribs. My son loved to climb out of his by the time he was 1. My pack and play is too small to be used as a crib.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• A pack and play just doesn't seem as comfy, as bed like to me. To me a pack and play is where I put my child to run the vacuum or something like that.
    Anonymous

• plenty of people do! maybe they don't talk about it on here because of drama and judgement. daycares do it... etc etc etc

Amber on mtv's teen mom only uses a pack and play for her daughter Leah
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• okay, honest to God story. I still use pack and plays and all but... our oldest DD actually got the looped Velcro undone and got stuck underneath the mat of the pack and play when we had her sleeping in one when we moved to our new home. She was a little past crawl stage when she done this. Just a thought of why not to use them all night unsupervised.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 11:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• We sidecar for additional space and cosleep. http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/faqtipsandphotos.htm     I've never liked putting babies in cribs or pens.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I would think they're easier to flip over.

And yes, teen mom is such a wonderful reference.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• i used the pack and play for like the first 6 months of my daughters life...then 6 months in a crib..then at 1yr she was in a twin bed
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• We use a pack and play for my 17 month old son. We have a crib mattress that fits int there and then we put blankets rolled up around it so he won't fall in between the mattress and side of it. He is old enough to wake up if he does that anyways. The crib that he slept in is not used as a toddler bed for my daughter.
    jeng1980

Answer by jeng1980 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• dont know. i dontuse any i cosleep
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2010