the world is made for families of 4?

We have 2 kids. I want more, at least 1 maybe more like 3.
Some time ago the pediatrician was trying to talk us out of having more (I have medical issues galore) and pointed out the world is made for families of 4. As time has gone on, it actually seems sort of true. I could list a zillion reasons from tables/booths at restaurants to cars and so on. Is adding a 5th person a pain? Thoughts, comments, etc appreciated. We are ready to start TTC but it keeps playing over & over in my head

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Our life was A LOT easier when it was the four of us. With the addition of our twins we had to upgrade our house, vehicle, dining room table, couch and so on.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• well disney packages (coomercial) it says for a family of 4. we are a family of four and dont want anymore!! but hey the duggards have 19 and have no problem.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• We are a family of 5. You can fit 5 people at a table, even a booth when they are little. We actually drive a car, not a minivan. We fit three car seats in the back of our car. If you want another then then have another. I have never thought about it being a pain. But I will tell you that my aunt told my mom the same thing when she got pregnant with me (my parents already had my two brothers). She told my mom to have an abortion because you can only fit 4 people in a booth. I think about that every time my little, five person family sits in a booth. I am glad my parents didn't listen.
    Anonymous

• I have a family of 3 and it seems like there is always one out. One of us gets to sit by ourselves at a booth or table, food is always ordered in pairs so either we share or one gets to have their own, etc. I would like to have another, but unfortunately, after a hysterectomy, that is impossible. Having an odd numbered family is not my idea of fun. You will always have one child left out. Maybe 4 isn't so bad.
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 11:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• You will always have one child left out

AGREE !! i am the third and last child and i was always left out
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I'm from a family of six and your title made me giggle. I watched a lot of game shows when I was a kid and when they would give away prizes for trips, it was always for 4 people. I would automatically turn to my mom and ask "which one of us would have to stay home with Dad?". Like it was assumed that Dad wouldn't be going with!

Perhaps people think that a family of 4 is good because then the adults won't be outnumbered by the kids? I'm envisioning a Gullivers Travels type of scenario!

Seriously though, the size of your family is your business. Do what is right for you and your family! Good luck!
    ZacsMom

Answer by ZacsMom at 11:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• We are a family of 6 but our older 2 have moved out (they are 22 and 23) and we have had just the younger 2 (who are high school seniors) at home for the past 4 years. Things are more accommodating for families of 4 vs. families of 6. It's easier to get vacation packages, concert tickets, etc.. I do, however, miss having 4 children at home and wouldn't change a thing if given the chance. Being a family of 6 is awesome and I love all the memories we made even if things were a little more cramped and a little less accommodating for a larger family.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• We're a family of 6 and we get by. Our truck fits 6 perfectly and we don't usually have any trouble getting a big booth or table when we go out to eat (we avoid busy times because we know the larger tables are limited and we don't want to have to wait). We wouldn't have money for a vacation with even just 2 kids so it doesn't even cross my mind. It is expensive to do almost anything, though. We don't go places very often because we just can't afford tickets and things (like to museums and stuff).
    This summer we will be adding #7 to the family and then we are in trouble. Buying another/new vehicle is not an option so we won't be able to go anywhere as a family for a long time. One parent will always have to stay home with 1 of the kids or my oldest will have to learn to stay home by herself (she will be 10 this summer). It will be interesting.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My mom said this to me before I had my 3rd. Going from 1 to 2 children wasn't hard for me, going from 2 to 3 was VERY difficult. You all of a sudden have more kids than hands, even when dh is home the adults are outnumbered. Plus all of the reasons your dr mentioned.
    That being said, I am currently pregnant with my 5th. It works for us and it's all about what's best for your family, but it is a big change and when you go to a hotel, there aren't rooms with 3 beds. It's not that hard when they are really little, but as they grow older it does get more difficult to make everyone "fit"

Answer by missanc at 9:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Well first of all if you and your husband want another child. Then have one . The only thing you should really worry about is how are you financially. To bring another child into your lives. If everything is okay then go for it. But don't worry about if theres room at a table for the child you can always make room some how. And as for cars you can always get a bigger car if you need to,
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2010