Anemia

I'll be asking my DDs pedi on wednesday but I want to see if anyone has any input on this question.
I've always been anemic, when I was pregnant it got worse and now I'm breastfeeding and I feel worse than ever. Since I don't have enough iron and my DD is breastfed, is she not getting enough iron?
If anyone has had this problem, breastfed and their baby wasn't getting enough iron, did they make you supplement with formula or did they have a vitamin supplement they could give them?

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 11:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• shouldnt you be taking a iron pill? that would be enough for the both of you im sure
    Anonymous

• I ended up loosing my milk with my second and I believe it was partly because of my anemia. I get EXTREMELY anemic when I'm pregnant and it takes months for it to get near normal after. I've come to realize after 4 pregnancies that my body just gets iron stupid and no matter how much iron I take it just doesn't absorb it.

My first thought would be to have you take supplements. Just ask the dr to check it out. My second never had a problem with her iron... I'm sure she sucked out every bit my body took in! lol!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 11:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Anon, I do take an iron pill. It doesn't do much.

I'm basically asking if it's possible that she couldn't be getting enough. There is nothing catching my eye that would make me think she is not, just curiousity and for future reference if it came down to her not getting enough.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• poly viasol w/iron is an infant vitamin that my son has been on since day 2. Talk to your pedatrician first but it can be bought at a drugstore/walmart/grocery stores.
    amygraves21

Answer by amygraves21 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Iron pills are not very effective.
    Take liquid Floradix it is the best and is NOT constipating. For a cheaper alternative, liquid chlorophyll work wonders also.
    Get as much iron rich food as possible (if you eat meat, liver has quite a lot) and pair those foods with vitamin C rich foods (vitamin C increases absorption).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• i would try to eat more iron rich foods as well. raisins and sardines are high in iron. i would only eat liver from an organic cow, though.do you eat lots of dark leafy greens? i would try the chlorophyll pp mentioned, it sure couldn't hurt! i am not a huge fan of supplements myself...i would be concerned about iron for your baby causing constipation. when my son was in the nicu a dr. prescribed iron for all the infants...they were soooo stinky gassy, that they finally quit giving it. fyi, if there is any iron available in your body, your baby will get it before you will. us moms, we really give till it hurts sometimes!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2010