How to cope with having to get on welfare?

In order for me to be able to go to work I have to get on daycare assistance and I hate it. I just moved to a new place that is more expensive. I'm a single mom and this is the only form of welfare I need but feel so crappy about it. I also go to school full time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• in IL welfare & daycare asst. are two different things.. I get help with daycare cost through action for children, but no welfare $
    just be grateful you have a job
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• My post is the one bitching about my friend who is abusing the system. If you have no other choice, then use it. IT'S THERE TO HELP. My friend has her man lying around all day instead of working, because they don't want his ex to get money........how sad is that? Ya know, it's FOR THE KID. Anyway, you are using so that you can work and make a living and feed you and your child.
    Anonymous

• At least you're getting help so you can work instead of living off the system. You're doing good by working, going to school, and being a single mom.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Oh and you go to school full time. You are the epitome of what assistance is meant for..............to assist you while you improve your situation. Don't feel bad at all! You are doing everything you can to make a better life for your family.
    Anonymous

• I think you're doing exactly what you need to do. What other option do you have, really other than staying home and living off real welfare. I had to get daycare assistance (title XX) when I was going to college full time. it's not a bad thing if you are using it to better yourself and make it to where you can better support your family in the future. You're not abusing the system, you are using it as it was meant to be used. I think you should pat yourself on the back for taking that step to get yourself and your child into a better financial situation.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• cope??? WTF! way to look down your nose on everyone on assistance. You'd think the fact that you are on it would make you less judgmental but I guess not.

but like others said, you're using it for the right reasons! that's what it's there for, to help you so you can better your life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• You do what you got to do to better yourself for your kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I've just always made it a point to be on it because of the stereotype of single moms and how they're all on it. I'm not on food stamps, wic or medicaid. I just feel like shit because I can't fully take care of my kid on my own right now-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• We have the system for a reason. When your situation is better you can feel good about knowing that some other woman is getting the help she needs. You aren't abusing the system, you are using it in the way it was meant.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I think you have exactly the right attitude about it. Assistance IS there to help, but it SHOULD be a last resort and not something that is looked upon as extra income "because its there and you technically qualify". So many people choose assistance over actually trying to better their situation - you don't seem to be doing that. You are in school, you have a job, and you feel humble about asking for help. You are on the right track and I'm sure you will use whatever assistance you get for exactly what it is meant to be - a short-term aid when you need it, to get yourself to a better place. You don't have to worry about being lumped into some stereotype - anyone who knows you will know your situation and anyone who doesn't know you doesn't matter. Good luck!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2010