Can you watch TV or be on the computer without paying attention to your kids?

I mean I can be sitting there watching TV or on the computer trying to really get into it on what ever I am doing but at the same time my mind wanders off to see what the kids are doing even though they are right there. Is this weird or what?

My dh and I could be watching a movie and I can't but to get up and go check on the kids or call for them...I can not really enjoy what I am doing. Why? I can't just let them do whatever they want bc you never know and yes I should take advantage of this but I feel as soon as I put my guard down...something will happen...I know I am strange this way.

Venting and thanks for listening :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• its pretty typical for a mom. we are always vigilent on where our kids are and what they are doing.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• We just have that 6th sense about our kids. Its a good thing... I was sitting here on the computer one morning. DD was literally less than 10ft away from me, but I was so busy on the computer I wasnt paying attention. I got that feeling and looked over at her- she was pulling the tissues out of the box, one by one and there was a huge pile around her!! Made for a good picture, but its a good thing we always know what our kids are doing. They get into trouble so quickly!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Depends, right now everyone's in bed so I can get into surfing the web or whatever. If they're up and hubs is home I let him deal with them if he's not busy cooking or doing something that requires his full attention. If he's busy I keep my "mom brain" on and the eyes in the back of my head open.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I never get to really watch anything...DH on the other hand just kicks all the way back in the recliner and watches TV like he's the only one home. It's really irritating! Esspecially now that he is laid off...I'm always checking up on kids,chasing after them, telling them, time to do this time to do that...then I just stand there a minute stare at DH and he finally realizes I'm staring at him, he will say, "what" I will say, "can you help me out", he will say, "oh don't even go there"...wth...him and his TV can jump on the deck for all I care at this point.
    I have to stay up until this time of night to have any "me" time with the TV or internet. Thank God for DVR
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• pp here...I meant to say they can jump OFF the deck....sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I can. I trust my kids, even the 3yo, to behave while I'm preoccupied with other things. I usually close my door when I'm watching TV because I have a hard time hearing (33 and already losing some of my hearing--it's sad). If the door is open I can only catch every other word that is said and it gives me a headache.
    My 3yo usually doesn't let me sit for long. She has to come in every couple of minutes to show me a picture she drew or tell me about something she saw on TV.
    But for the most part they do their thing and I do mine. I don't worry much with what they are up to until they start screaming at each other (they are mostly past the stage where quiet means trouble...quiet usually means they finagled their way into my dad's room and are watching TV with him).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I'm so glad you asked this question! I can never get into anything unless my son is asleep or with a babysitter. He is always asking me for things or wants my attention. My "me" time is when he goes to bed. My husband just sits on the couch and watches TV and completely ignores whats going on which drives me crazy. I just want some help sometimes but he never pays attention to our son and acts like he can't hear him when he says he has to go to the bathroom so I have to do all the work. I'm home with our son all day and I work from home too so you would think that DH would pick up at least some of the slack sometime....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2010