what is the significance of ash wednesday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are coming to Cafemom for Spiritual guidance? Seek elsewhere!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Perhaps she's just looking for info, not spiritual guidance. I don't know what the significance is and was interested in the answer myself which is why I saw your snarky answer anon :44.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

-------------------------------

I'm not looking for guidance, I am secure in my faith. I was only curious as to why some religions participate in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• http://www.orlutheran.com/html/ash.html

it represents being repentful of your sins, starts of the season of Lent which is a time when you give up something as a way of repenting.. some give up sweets, some sex, some caffeine, etc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent, Lent is the 40 days of prayer and penance before Easter, the most important day of the liturgical year. The ashes are a symbol of mourning and penance, they remind us of our sinfulness and our mortality. When the priest places the ashes on our forehead he says "Remember, man, that thou art dust and unto dust thou shalt return, an echo of Gen. 3:19 and a bunch of other similar scriptures.

That lent lasts 40 days is significant, 40 is the traditional number of judgment and spiritual testing in the Bible. Christ spent 40 days fasting in the desert before his public ministry and Catholics imitate Christ by spending 40 days in spiritual discipline before Easter, Christ's triumph over sin and death.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• As others have said, Ash Wednesday is the start of Lent (for Latin Rite Catholics and other Christians). The ultimate purpose of Ash Wednesday and Lent is to open us to God's grace and through that grace be brought closer to him. In short, the purpose is to strive toward sanctity (2 Tim. 4:7-8). In the Bible, forty days often signify such periods of purification (Exod. 24:18, 34:28; 1 Kgs. 19:8; Jon. 3:4-8; Matt. 4:2). It's setting a time of fasting and penance in preparation just like was done during biblical times.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Philippians 3:12 - Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

Yes! Ash Wednesday and Lent reflect this idea as well.  This passage is often part of Scripture Lenten reflections.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2010