Can you use EBT (food stamps) to buy your childs birthday cake from a grocery store bakery?

Trust me I wish we didn't have to be on it but Dh got laid off from work and we have been having a really hard time making ends meet. So please no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Generally speaking no, because it is a pre-pared food. They used to allow it, but I believe it has changed.

why not buy the ingredients and bake the cake yourself? cheaper and means a bit more made with your own hands and heart
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:05 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• yes.

the only premade food you CANNOT buy is HOT food and technically the cakes are not hot

although it's really cheaper to make one yourself out of the box mix.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• yes
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• guess its a wisconsin thing, you cant here
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• hey none of us mind people like you,its the lazy we dont like.yes i think you probably can, i knew someone that bought a easter basket for their kids.so i would think a kids cake would be ok.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• In Oklahoma I can! I did in Jan for my son. We got a cookie cake! Here the only thing you can't get is like fresh cut deli meat and stuff from the deli.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• The cakes at bakeries are overpriced.

Get some cake mix and frosting and have him help you make a fun cake at home. You can probably easily bake a cake for 5 dollars compared to 25-30. Even if you added in a special toy on top it would still be less.

We don't even have financial issues and those cakes are just too expensive for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I"m on foodstamps. Why don't you look online for creative ways to make your own cake at home? There are some great ideas and everyone will be wowed!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• i did when we were on EBT last year. i live in indiana. the food just has to be storable. you can use EBT to buy Papa Murphy Pizza's here (they aren't cooked, but they put the pizza together for you. all you have to do is stick it in the oven when you get home - they are good too)
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 1:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2010