He wakes up screaming bloody murder?!

My son is 16, almost 17 months old. For the past week and a half, he's been screaming in the middle of the night. When it started, it was just once or twice, so I thought it was his teeth. I gave him orjel, and some ibprofen, then he would be fine. Over the weekend, he stayed over at his father's house for about 6 hours, and slept for 3 hours while he was there. He doesn't have a problem when he takes naps, yet at night, especially since he got back from his father's, he wakes up almost every hour screaming. I've given him the orjel, and the ibprofen, but that doesn't seem to help. I give him a bottle, and it calms him for a little, until it starts again. I don't know if its night terrors, or if its something else. Should I make a doctor appointment, and are they're any ideas on what to check for?

Momma_Neko

Asked by Momma_Neko at 2:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when he screams does he respond to your voice? Night terrors from my experience, they wake up screaming my son would call out for me and i would be right there and if itried to touch him he would scream louder and push me away, he looked awake but wasnt. My doctor told me to stay by his side but not to pick him up because he could get hurt tyring to push me away and thrashing around trying to get out of my arms.

It is one of the worst things to go through, watching your child call for you and not being able to calm them. The terrors normally go away in short amount of time and my son had them on rare occasions then they just stopped completely.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Might be night terrors. My little fellow had them about that age till about 2 1/2 not fun. and besides comforting them, there is little you can do til the phase passes.

I would still have the Dr check him out though.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• he responds, and he lets me brush his hair from his face, but last night when I tried to pick him up, he screamed and pushed and kicked, so I laid him back down. My mom says that my brother and I never had them, but my ex on the other hand, use to wake me up from him thrashing about, so I wonder if that could be it.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 2:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My son did this 2 times around this age, But I swear he was awake.... or I thought he was, he was screaming MOMMMY HELP and thrashing around and you couldn't hold or console him or even touch him- me and my husband would just sit there shocked and helpless.... it hasn't happened since but now since my son turned 2, he will wake up screaming and I can just rub his head or do the same oragel or tylenol and he'll go back to sleep but he still wakes up somenights screaming... I have to think nightmares cause a couple of the times he was crying Mommy, where are my brown shoes or manny's tools ( handy manny ) go mommy??? and he was clearly upset and worried about them but we could talk about while he cried..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 9, 2010