How do you nicely tell a 4 year old to stop asking so MANY questions?

I babysit for my best friend. And her daughter just doesn't stop with the questions. I have her for 6 hours every night and I feel like my head is going to explode with questions. Why Everything, WHY this? How do I tell her nicely to limit the questions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am not sure stifling a 4 year olds curiousity is a good idea. though having you be driven mad is probably a worse idea. Just be super gentle and tell her enough for now.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• 4 year olds are supposed to ask questions. That is how they learn. My own son asked 100 questions at that age, and that is how he learned at that age.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Always answer as many questions as you can. And it's okay to say "i don't know" but it's even better to say "let's find out together" and help her find the answer to her questions.
    My son asks a lot of questions too and sometimes i ask him why he is asking so much! lol. also, i do, at times tell him to not ask me any questions right now.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• See, I agree. I know thats the age where they are learning, and I dont want to make it where she stops all together. I dont mind answering her questions, but some are just like, F**K, I dont know!!! *OP* I dont have ALL the answers, and I have other things to think about then a million quesions! I am in a hard spot!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I also have a 2 year to take care of, so I cant devote ALL my time to her...OP*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I honestly don't think there is much you can do to make her stop asking questions, this is just the age that they do that! And nobody has all the answers, even the best moms :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Two statements..."Why don't you tell me what you think." And "Look it up on wikipedia."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• thanks guys, I felt like it was wrong to tell her I dont know
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 2:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I have 2 suggestions. First, make it into a funny time. Give her ridiculous answers to her question. Or turn it around and start asking her silly "Why" questions. See how many questions of yours she can answer. I did that with my nephew and he had a ball and then quit asking me so many questions. It will be less annoying to you if you can make it fun.

Second, if she is asking "why" when you tell her to do something (brush your teeth, go sit down, etc) don't answer her. Tell her she needs to do what you asked and then she can ask you why. After she has done what you asked her to do, you will answer her questions.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Have you tried turning the questiond around and asking her the same thing makeing her think about it?!? That waht I do!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2010