how to care for a puppy

My friend just got a puppy about a month ago..This puppy is about four months old.He chews on everything and when you feed him he about bites your hand.How can he be trained to not bite like that and to quit chewing on things.My friend was so tempted to kick him. He didn't and I'm so glad-but still, My friend goes to work at a second shift job and this leaves the puppy home all alone until 11PM.Should my friend keep this puppy and hope he outgrows this behavior? Let me know what you think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Pets

• When my puppy went through that nippy, biting, chewing stage I would give him his toys, say "No!" or "Ouch" and put him in another area. NEVER NEVER kick a puppy. They are babies, and that kind of play is probably what they would engage with other puppies. You have to be patient and consistent with puppies but they can be trained not to nip or bite...and it's best to start early. Get some books for your friend on caring for puppies. Hope it helps.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Your friend isn't working with this puppy on his behavior. Maybe she needs the services of a dog trainer to show her some effective methods for training the misbehavior out of the puppy; most vets know of or can recommend a trainer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• The puppy NEEDS puppy classes. If he is chewing - he isn't being given an ample outlet for this.
    As for the biting - that HAS to get under control! What we did with our Husky is when she was a pup, we would put our hand in her food dish WHILE she was eating, and if she tried to bite, grab her muzzle and flick or slap her nose and say 'no bite'. Do NOT engage the dog in rough play with biting - same rule - grab muzzle, flick/slap nose & say 'no bite' EVERY TIME. Eventually he will stop - but you HAVE to be consistent.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:37 AM on Feb. 9, 2010