Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5 yr old's preschool has recommended that he go to speech therapy. How are some ways that I can help with this more at home, besides correcting the words he mispronounces?

I already exaggerate the letters or words that he needs help with. I just feel so helpless. I speak very properly and I really don't understand what else I can do to help.

Answer Question

Asked by themrs0902 at 7:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • as far as i know, without the help of an actual speech therapist its not gonna be good going alone. check in to resources in your area. there might be some programs that can help you with this

    Answer by sati769leigh at 8:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • Speech therapy is very common. Let them offer the services now and they will send home "homework" to do with your child. Itll tell you what you can do to help with progress. My daughters in speech now, she just turned 5. Shes already made strides and probably wont need therapy when she goes into Kindergarten. The key is to catch it quickly and correct it.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • Speech therapy will help tremendously. Also, try learning and using sign language. We have an autistic child and when she was in school, they worked on her speech. One of the things they did was teach her to sign. They would have her sign each word as she spoke, it had the effect of making her concentrate on what she was saying as she spoke...sounds a bit strange but it REALLY helped her in her speech.

    Answer by meriana at 9:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • the speech therapist should be able to give you pointers!

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • my cousins (he lives with me) speech therapist told me to stop "over pronouncing' the sounds he gets wrong. She told me that it wasnt helping because he always hears me saying it correctly, its about concentration and taking the time to say them the right way. Ask your speech therapist what to do, maybe she'll disagree with mine.

    Answer by Christina2135 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • Well definately take advantage of the speech therapist, they went to school for this. They know what they are doing, but also help your child at home as well. The only way she is going to learn is if she uses her skills. Maybe its good to correct her but idk i know how i hate to be corrected. If it was me i would look up ways online to help her at home. Maybe you can find some tips, or ask her speech therapist for excercises you can do with her at home to help. I am sure she would love to see that you are taking an interest in your child's success toward speaking clearer and what not. :)

    Answer by hostlerak at 10:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • if your child needs a speech pathologist take him. My son has a speech issue that only a trained professional was able to overcome. Sometimes it's not about you and what you can do. It may be something deeper. Besides most schools offer free services so either you start now or eventually he'll end up with an IEP and getting it through the schools. Better to start now then let it go on longer.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • I was in speech from kind to 8th grade and my therapist told my mom and dad what to do to help. The best thing you can do is to listen to the school and have him go to therapy.

    Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

  • I do intend on using the services that the school is providing. I was just wondering if there were things that I could start at home in addition to.

    Answer by themrs0902 at 7:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.