Do you keep your baby up right for a certain amount of time after a bottle?

I'm trying to establish a bedtime routine with my 3 month old. He usually gets a bottle right before bed. But, I'm having a hard time deciding if he needs to be held in an upright position for a certain amount of time before I put him in bed. I would like him to fall asleep on his own in bed, which he can do. But doesn't get a chance b/c I'm holding him. I'm hesitant b/c he doesn't also burp well and sometimes wakes up crying b/c of a burp. He still wakes up during the night for a feeding and sometimes just for a pacifier. He's just so tired by the end of the night. I'm also thinking that I might need to move up his bedtime.

prettyinpink2

Asked by prettyinpink2 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not all the time. when she sleeps at night i feed her when shes lying down and she goes right back to sleep. It dont work with all babies tho, so if you dont keep her upright watch him close for ne discomfort like acid reflux or watch that he doesnt throw up when he is lying down (some babeis dont turn their heads). good luck with laying him down to fall asleep. i trained mine to do that from day 1 and now that she is 5 months old thats not acceptable lol.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 8:37 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• He's going to be in a growth spurt about now so be aware. Personally, an infant shouldn't have a bed time. If they are tired facilitate sleep in the same way you facilitate feeds. I would always burp, I breastfeed but I will burp if I know she's been gulping.

I also don't mind cuddling, rocking or nursing to sleep. They are small for such a short time and it makes me slow down and appreciate the tme spent together in the quiet times. And the baby sleeps well and easily. I will miss it when it is over.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:39 AM on Feb. 9, 2010