Infant car seat help.

Our four year old and three year old are in extended five point harnesses. We're thinking of having another child in a few months, and I'm trying to research the safest car seats for infants.

What do you reccomend? Convience isn't the top priority for us so it doesn't have to be the kind you can take off the base and put on a stroller.

Have any of you used Britax Roundabout Convertible Car Seat for an infant?

Are there any besides Britax that will carry the baby through two years (for rear facing?)

AvaBlue

Asked by AvaBlue at 8:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The Roundabout (if i recall correctly) doesn't have a high harness limit. I'd go with a True Fit (have one) it RF to 35 and FF to 65, or a MyRide which RF to 40 and FF to 65. Or even a Radian, the newer ones, some of them RF to 40 and others RF to 45, and some FF to 65 and others 80.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I don't believe Britax have a good reputation for fitting newborns well... I'd check with the car seat safety group
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I agree, Britax convertibles don't fit newborns well.
    If you are looking for a convertible seat I would look at the FirstYears TrueFit... it rear faces to 35 lbs, fits newborns well and forward faces to 65 lbs.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• my ride 65 hand down... my twins love it.. and it comes in several diffrent colors/patterns
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I have a alpha omega carseat that can fit from 0-100lbs. It is rear facing, forward facing and then goes to booster. The eddie bauer one is the same- my parents have that one.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I took my first baby home from the hospital in a Britax Roundabout, never used an infant seat for him. I would have started my youngest off with a Britax Marathon but she was only just barely 4 pounds when we brought her home, so I used an infant carrier style one until she was 8 pounds. (The Britax convertible ones say they can start at 5 pounds, but I think about 8 pounds is more realistic). If you have a full term normal sized baby then I'd definitely go for a Roundabout or Marathon. You could probably go with the Roundabout and your older kids will be out of their 5 pts when your youngest hits 35 pounds (the max for the Roundabout)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2010