Baby Baptism

So, I'm southern baptist and we don't baptize babies. Well, I got an invitation to a girl I know, daughter's baptism. The baby is 6 months old and they are Greek Orthodox. I figured we'd dress up for it, but are we suppose to bring a gift? Also about how long should it last b/c its at 4:00 this Saturday and my DH works nights, so we need to leave at 5:00 so he can get home, get dressed and get to work in time. So, would it be over by 5 or we be rude leaving early?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 9:13 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wish i knew, i googled and it seems usually folks give at least a small gift. i woudl contact the parents and let them know that you will be needing to leave by a certain time and didnt want to appear rude
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Im so glad i caught this bc im greek orthodox and both my boys were baptized this way so i can help~! .. its usually appropriate to bring a gift.. typically its a card with some money in it ( whatever amount is affordable for u and your family) or if u want sometimes a little keepsake gift is nice.. but whichever way u choose. if they do it the way im used to the church is about an hr and a half long ( if u go to the church) the party will most likely be at some catering hall ( again this may not be the case but this is what ive seen done and ive done personally) and it kinda runs like a small wedding .. if u have to leave early bc ur husband has to work i wouldnt feel bad .. at least u showed up and showed that u cared about the and child and u have a reasonable excuse to have to cut out early ..=)
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• U think its wrong to baptise infants (i agree) yet youll support someone else doing it. seems hypocritical to me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• i dont think its hypocritical.. she doesnt practice it but that doesnt mean she can support a friend who does...
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Thank you zperez8089. Just because my religion doesn't do it, doesn't mean I can't support another friend. I don't see anything wrong with baptizing babies; as baptists, we just wait until a child is old enough to make the decision on their own. If things were flipped around and I was the one baptizing my baby, I'd want support from my friends, even if they wait until later to baptize their children.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I am glad you are open enough to support a friend who believes differently than you do. You should follow the etiquette you would use for any other party. If you need to leave early, leave early. Most people bring cards with a savings bond or money. Some might bring a memorable token. For my friend's son's Christening, I got him a baby blanket with a cross embroidered on it with his name and baptism/christening date. I'm not Catholic, but I appreciated the joy her family shared in doing something they believed strongly in.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2010