Kids birthday presents

When one child has a birthday, do you give a small gift to the other children? when I was a kid we did that mostly for the kids too little to understand-

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I only have one kid, so I haven't done that. My grandparents did that for my siblings and I, though. I believe it started when my sister turned one, my brother was only 16 months older than her and they didn't think he'd understand. I am the youngest and I think it continued until I was around 8 and my sibs were 11 & 12. I do remember being little and asking for a certain toy "for his/her birthday"....which now I think is ridiculous. If a family member wants to give the other children a small gift on one kid's birthday, that's cool....but when the other kids get to expect and ask for it (like my family did), that's not cool.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 10:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I have done that for my friends children but haven't had the opportunity to do it for my own.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• No i've never done that and I haven't done that for my own. I believe each child should have a day just for them and the siblings nees to learn that.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• No. Birthdays are special for each child, but i wll buy them something that's much more fun to share.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 10:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I would do it for the birth of a child because it is a confusing time for the older child/ren. Birthdays are a special day. Our youngest is 5 yrs younger than our middle child; she has always been gracious in letting him help her open her presents. That was always enough for him (and maybe a reward of one of the boxes.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• No, I wouldn't do that. If the child is too young to understand, than sure, bring a toy for the younger one (but at 2, they get it.) My daughter's class does birthdays and they understand that it's so and so's b-day so we have cupcakes or sing to him/her. After that, it's just spoiling the child and ruining the olders b-day. My cousin was 5 when her sister was born and they were bad about making her give up everything for the baby because she doesn't understand or we don't want her to cry. My grandma never let it happen when she was around, though. The older cousin was very resentful of it for the longest time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Nope. They'll get gifts on their birthdays while the others don't.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• nope.

the birthday kid gets the presents. not the siblings - that teaches them better than everyone getting one.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• OP- I see benefits for both. when a kid is too little to understand the words you are using to explain it to them, I think a little something is OK. But I see what Jonesmama and anon 11:21 say. When my family did it, it was just a little things that was given to the 'other child', so no one got to ask for something. In the case of anon11:21, my mom was bad about my having to make way for my sister who 'was too little to understand' she's mid 30s and still doesn't understand! My aunt was like that with my cousin too.But then in cases of both kids I think that was just the way they were.

I think there can be a happy medium- if you are going to give the little ones lee way, then know when to quit. I think the kid that was the most indulged with toys was also the most generous with sharing.

So I guess you just have to know what is best in each case.

Anonymous