What do you do about child care for tweens during the work week, and snow days?

In rural areas, and especially as children get older, child care gets trickier. Are they old enough to be alone, is it even safe are some of the questions we face.What do you do?

artC1s

Asked by artC1s at 9:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have never considered how hard snow days must be on rural moms
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I know it is awful!!! Our school was closed for a week,,,and I scrambled like crazy! I think you should connect with another Mom, hopefully one that needs a little extra cash,,,at the very least perhaps alternate staying home with them, I think that 14 or 15 is old enough to stay home all day,,,,,but younger than that my vote is no! Good luck Mom, school is closed here today as well!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I don't know how old your kids are....besides age, you want to consider how responsible they are and how long they would be alone. I am looking to start a daycare in my home. I live in a rural area. I know that there are several in-home daycares in our area. The school actually has a list of some of them. I would look into what Drop-in rates are so that you have a back up plan. What do you do when they get let out of school early? Or when there are two-hour delays?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Our rec center has a daycare type thing, but for kids in this age group. It is for after school and during school breaks. During snow days, well, no help there.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I send my 11 year old twin daughters to the YMCA Teens After Hours program. They just stay at the school after their academic day is over and staff from the YMCA engage them in activities and keep an eye on them until I come pick them up at 6pm. During the summer we also use the YMCA camps. The YMCA also offers care for snow days and school holidays/teacher development days when there are no classes. Pretty reasonable rates too. The Teens After Hours is only $123 a month. The camps are more expensive, around $250 a week I think, maybe a little less than that.
    momoftwins240

Answer by momoftwins240 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2010