Is it normal for a 5 year old to be interested in "private parts'?

My 5 year old has lots of questions about breasts, vaginas etc..... He has asked me to show him mine! Now I am 100% positive there has been no abuse,,, he is very curious about everything! How do you handle it? I have just talke openly about it, but it seems to lead to more and more questions!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• give him honest answers that are at his level of understanding. dont make a big deal of it and dont let him get a rise out of you from bringing it all up or he may keep on with it just for the attention.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:39 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• where did he hear these terms? I knows kids are interested in their own,but this seems a little early for the opposite sex's stuff.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• There are children's books that address this type of thing... I would look for one of them... It's normal at this point for kids to be curious about that type of thing at this point. He is getting to the point where he can really understand that boys and girls are different and that there is something he doesn't yet know. So he wants to know...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• That doesn't mean there is abuse. Kids are just curious especially little boys about female parts. Its just the man in him lol. If he is aking i would educate him at an age appropriate level. The information is better coming from mama than playing doctor behind the playground playhouse with a little girl.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 10:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• curiosity is very normal and the fact that he's using the anatomically correct terms is good. I agree with a pp, find a book and read it together
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Original poster here! I have always taught him the correct terms for everything, we don't shy away and call vaginas or penis by any other name than what they are,,,,I had always been told this was the smartest thing to do, and honestly I feel silly calling it by ta ta or something! Good advice so far thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• It IS normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Have you spoken to your child's doctor about this? I find that my daughter's doctor is very helpful with these types of questions.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 4:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2010