Do you give the teachers anything for Valentine's Day?

I'm wondering what other families do. This is ds's first year in preschool, so we are new at everything. I had him pick out cards for them (2 teachers), and I got them each a $5 Starbucks gc ....is that good? I didn't want to do candy because I know one of them rarely eats sweets. But I wanted to remember them with a little something.

Teachers, please answer, too, if you usually receive V-day gifts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dont get them anything for Valentines but Im sure they will love the gift card!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• HA HA! I did exactly the same thing!! So of course that is great, right? LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• i have gotton things that say best teacher, my dd teacher last year was sweet and kind and she did like treats and she was taken 1 day a week to help my dd in math after school so one weekend i drove to a huge cady store about and hour from me and bought a chocolate cumputer it wasent huge fits in palm of ur hand..she loved it...my dd gave it to her and thanked her for all her help. and i think a gc to a coffe place was a great idea..my friend is also a teacher and loves when parents give cards and gc for coffee..it makes her happy to know people are really thankful for her.. ( she works with troubled kids and adhd kids so she always has a crazy day ) also haveing your child make a special card is great..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• That's great! Being a former teacher, it's always nice to be appreciated :) This is DD's first year of preschool as well, I got her teachers each a little ivy plant.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 10:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My Dd just gave her a handmade card with some gum. That is what she wanted to give her teacher.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• we gave starbucks cards for christmas, and all teachers said thanks, they would get hot coco! for v-day we got little tins of chocolates.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• We give them a card out of the box the kids' cards come out of - a.k.a. a valentine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• As a teacher, I usually got one of the cards that the kids were passing around. Sometimes, I got stuffed animals or chocolates. One year, I got a cute stationary set. It was nice.
    As a parent, we don't give them gifts. That's ok because as the teacher, I never knew what to do with the stuff I got, so I don't want to clutter their teachers with stuff.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• As a former teacher, I always try to give teachers something to say we are thinking of you. I know its not easy to be a teacher. I try to find something consumable, however. I got a lot of really nice things as a teacher and I don't want to sound ungreatful, but as a previous poster put it, I never knew what to do with all the stuff.

I got the kids' teachers a box of chocolates, but I know all their teachers this year will eat them - or share them with their own children. I think the gift card is great since you know one of them doesn't like sweets.

On the last day of school, I try to send a handwritten thank you from my husband and myself. A few years back, I had a long time teacher call me after reading hers in tears and told me it meant so much more to her than any teacher gift she'd ever been given. It still sits on her desk to this day.
    Anonymous