Have you minimized salt in your diet?

If so how did you do it? I have such hard time with salt, I love it. I try to watch the processed foods even though it can be hard at times. But I was wondering if there is a good salt substitute out there? I bought the Mortons In-Balance salt instead of regular salt however I have no idea how its actually different. I guess I need to read that huh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Health

• Be careful of Salt-free salt-Potassium chloride. They use that for lethal injections! You're better off just making yourself get used to tasting things without salt until your tastebuds adjust! Get lots of Mrs Dash. That stuff is awesome.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I've been watching my sodium a lot more closely lately. It's not easy, but by cooking less convenience foods and more natural foods, it's possible. We need SOME sodium, but the levels in some processed foods is insane.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• My DH has some health issues. We cut salt out completely about 2 years ago. There is enough sodium in most foods that we didn't really need the extra. Since then he has lost a ton of weight and his blood pressure has gone down.

Christy644

Answer by Christy644 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Similar to the commercial Mrs. Dash mixture, use this salt substitute herb mix on all types of savory foods and you won't miss the salt at all.

Ingredients:

• 1 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper

• 1 Tbsp garlic powder

• 1 Tbsp onion powder

• 1 tsp dried basil

• 1 tsp dried oregano

• 1 tsp dried thyme

• 1 tsp dried parsley flakes

• 1 tsp dried savory

• 1 tsp ground mace

• 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

• 1 tsp dried sage

• 1 tsp dried marjoram

• 1 tsp ground dried grated lemon peel

cookingwdenay

Answer by cookingwdenay at 11:05 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• i never used a lot of salt. we don't eat much processed foods either. a few years a go i started cooking with sea salt, this has minerals as well as the salt. before the sea salt i rarely used salt for cooking at all. if you lightly steam your fresh veggies, you may find you really enjoy their natural flavor.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• I love salt especially on my pasta and pizza. I do have high blood pressure/Cholesterol so I have to watch it though. I have recently started using Sea salt in cooking and at the table.. It is actually "good" for you helping in lowering LDL cholesterol.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2010