Advice please, toddler won't sleep through the night anymore?!

My almost 2 year old son had a virus last week, he's completely over it now, but he won't sleep at night. He wakes up every 1 - 2 hours and cries. As soon as we go in there he will go to back to sleep. We can't just leave him to fall back asleep on his own because he climbs out of his crib. Any suggestions? My husband and I are sooooooo tired. Please help!

EmilyM05

Asked by EmilyM05 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG...I am going through the SAME THING... In Nov, around my son's birthday he got a 12 hour vomiting cold and I sat by his bed so I could help him throw up but he could still get some rest in between, well ever since then, he wakes up 2-3 times a night. this was well, 3 months ago.. I tried letting him cry himself back to sleep, but he gets so worked up and he will just come in to my room and find me - if I go in there, he will sometimes go right back to bed if I tell him its still bedtime, but then even that stopped working.. Now the only thing that calms him is if I lay with him.. and we have never co slept, I just got too tired and felt out of options and couldn't function on 3 hours of sleep each night after 2 -1/2 months.. now he goes to bed fine but wakes usually around 1 or 2 am and I end up sleeping in there with him.. and he still wakes 1-2 more times looking for me. I am so tired too...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• BTW.. I have heard after a virus it will sometimes take up to a week for kids to get back on track.. I was hoping that would be my case but it wasn't.. so there's still some hope
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2010

• uugghh..good luck, my dd is the same way..she got a virus back in august, and she has yet to sleep through the night in her own room...and that was 6 months ago...the only thing that works for her is a pallat by our bed for her to sleep on, or i go and sleep wit her the rest of the night in her bed...cio doesn't work since she's able to move about in her room...good luck again and hopefully you'll hear something good, and if you do message me with what it is! lol i would love for kenzie to sleep through the night in her room.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2010

• Ahh....you ladies aren't giving me much hope. :( Thanks for responding though, at least i know I'm not alone.
    EmilyM05

Answer by EmilyM05 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2010